Trump cancels trip to Poland, gives update on 'monster' Hurricane Dorian
President Trump said Thursday that he has canceled his upcoming visit to Poland to help "ensure that all resources of the federal government are focused on" Hurricane Dorian, currently a Category 2 storm but projected to swell into a potentially catastrophic Category 4 hurricane when it slams into Florida's eastern coast early Monday. "The storm looks like it could be a very, very big one indeed," he added.
In a video Trump posted to Twitter later Thursday, he said the government is "working very, very hard on Hurricane Dorian," which he said is "looking like it could be an absolute monster," maybe "bigger or at least as big as Andrew," the Category 5 hurricane that devastated Florida in 1992.
Trump said he will send Vice President Mike Pence to Poland in his stead. Originally, the Polish trip was to include a World War II commemoration ceremony and a visit to a military base where U.S. troops serve alongside Polish forces, but Trump had already scrapped the base visit, The Washington Post reports. He also abruptly called off the first half of the trip, to Denmark, last week.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
In fact, Trump "never appeared to be enthusiastic" about the second trip to Europe in two weeks, even before Hurricane Dorian, the Post reports. Also, "Trump owns several properties along Florida's eastern coast, including his Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach and three golf courses in West Palm Beach, Jupiter, and Doral, west of Miami."
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Peter has worked as a news and culture writer and editor at The Week since the site's launch in 2008. He covers politics, world affairs, religion and cultural currents. His journalism career began as a copy editor at a financial newswire and has included editorial positions at The New York Times Magazine, Facts on File, and Oregon State University.
-
Has Google burst the Nvidia bubble?Today’s Big Question The world’s most valuable company faces a challenge from Google, as companies eye up ‘more specialised’ and ‘less power-hungry’ alternatives
-
Five key changes from Rachel Reeves’ make-or-break budgetThe Explainer The chancellor is relying on a ‘smorgasbord’ of targeted revenue raisers to keep MPs, markets and voters onside
-
Prisoner 951: ‘illuminating’ Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe dramaThe Week Recommends 'Harrowing' tale of prison ordeal and an ‘unbreakable’ bond between husband and wife
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
