Air Force says crews have stayed at or near Trump's Scottish resort 659 times since 2015, concedes that looks bad
Revelations that U.S. Air Force crews have stayed at President Trump's golf resort in Scotland multiple times since his inauguration prompted the Air Force to announce late Sunday that it has launched a worldwide review of how it selects overnight accommodations on long-haul flights. The House Oversight Committee is investigating one such overnight in March at Trump's Turnberry resort by the seven-person crew of a C-17 cargo plane, Politico reported Friday, and it turns out that was not a one-time aberration.
The U.S. Air Force said it has been using Prestwick Airport, Glasgow's struggling secondary airport, for refueling since 2015, but Politico notes that the frequency of those stopovers has tripled since then and overnights have increased more than fivefold, from 40 overnights in 2015 to 208 in 2018 and 220 this year through August. Prestwick is the closest airport to Turnberry, about 20 miles away. Lt. Gen. Jon Thomas, deputy head of Air Mobility Command, which oversees all Air Force travel worldwide, told Politico he couldn't report how many of the 659 total overnights may have been at Trump's resort.
Thomas said Air Force crews appear to be "following all guidance and directives," but "we also have to be sensitive to the possible perceptions that might be created on where they may stay." The main perception the House is investigating is that U.S. taxpayers are enriching Trump, possibly keeping the president's money-losing golf resort afloat, along with Prestwick Airport, which is "debt-ridden," fighting off closure, and "said to be integral to the Trump business," BBC News reports. Internal Pentagon documents show that Defense Department personnel have charged more than $300,000 at Trump properties between his inauguration and November 2018, CNN reports.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Air Force chief spokesman Brig. Gen. Ed Thomas highlighted a secondary problematic perception: "Even when USAF aircrews follow all directives and guidance, we must still be considerate of perceptions of not being good stewards of taxpayer funds that might be created through the appearance of aircrew staying at such locations," even if the "higher-end accommodations" are "within government rates."
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Peter has worked as a news and culture writer and editor at The Week since the site's launch in 2008. He covers politics, world affairs, religion and cultural currents. His journalism career began as a copy editor at a financial newswire and has included editorial positions at The New York Times Magazine, Facts on File, and Oregon State University.
-
4 tips to finally start your small business in the new yearThe Explainer Make your dream a reality
By Becca Stanek, The Week US Published
-
Sudoku hard: December 4, 2024The Week's daily hard sudoku puzzle
By The Week Staff Published
-
Crossword: December 4, 2024The Week's daily crossword
By The Week Staff Published
-
US charges Indian tycoon with bribery, fraudSpeed Read Indian billionaire Gautam Adani has been indicted by US prosecutors for his role in a $265 million scheme to secure solar energy deals
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Boeing machinists approve contract, end strikeSpeed Read The company's largest union approved the new contract offer, ending a seven-week strike
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
US economy still strong in final preelection reportSpeed Read It grew at a solid 2.8% annual rate from July through September
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Boeing machinists reject deal, continue strikeSpeed Read The rejection came the same day Boeing reported a $6.2 billion quarterly loss
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Ports reopen after dockworkers halt strikeSpeed Read The 36 ports that closed this week, from Maine to Texas, will start reopening today
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Empty-nest boomers aren't selling their big homesSpeed Read Most Americans 60 and older do not intend to move, according to a recent survey
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Brazil accuses Musk of 'disinformation campaign'Speed Read A Brazilian Supreme Court judge has opened an inquiry into Elon Musk and X
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Disney board fends off Peltz infiltration bidSpeed Read Disney CEO Bob Iger has defeated activist investor Nelson Peltz in a contentious proxy battle
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published