Uber isn't safe enough to operate in London, authorities say


Uber just got the red light in London — again.
Transport for London has decided not to renew Uber's license to operate, with the transportation authorities citing a "pattern of failures by the company including several breaches that placed passengers and their safety at risk."
Uber will be allowed to continue operating in London while appealing the decision, CNN notes. London previously decided not to renew the ridesharing service's license to operate in 2017, though Uber successfully appealed the decision, and it most recently received a two-month license in September.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
One safety issue Transport of London cited was that "a change to Uber's systems allowed unauthorized drivers to upload their photos to other Uber driver accounts," meaning drivers could "pick up passengers as though they were the booked driver." This occurred on at least 14,000 trips, Transport for London said. Another issue cited is dismissed or suspended drivers being able to create accounts, "again compromising passenger safety and security."
Uber criticized the decision Monday as "extraordinary and wrong," saying "we have fundamentally changed our business over the last two years and are setting the standard on safety." But Transport of London said that although some safety concerns have been addressed, it "does not have confidence that similar issues will not reoccur in the future," leading to the conclusion that Uber "is not fit and proper at this time."
London Mayor Sadiq Khan added Monday, "I know this decision may be unpopular with Uber users, but their safety is the paramount concern."
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
France political crisis: what does Bayrou's gamble mean for Macron?
The French president could see his authority damaged beyond repair should another of his governments fail
-
A private zoo run by Asia's richest family is facing criticism and investigations
Under the radar The zoo is owned by Anant Ambani, the son of Asia's richest person
-
Crossword: August 28, 2025
The Week's daily crossword
-
New York court tosses Trump's $500M fraud fine
Speed Read A divided appeals court threw out a hefty penalty against President Trump for fraudulently inflating his wealth
-
Trump said to seek government stake in Intel
Speed Read The president and Intel CEO Lip-Bu Tan reportedly discussed the proposal at a recent meeting
-
US to take 15% cut of AI chip sales to China
Speed Read Nvidia and AMD will pay the Trump administration 15% of their revenue from selling artificial intelligence chips to China
-
NFL gets ESPN stake in deal with Disney
Speed Read The deal gives the NFL a 10% stake in Disney's ESPN sports empire and gives ESPN ownership of NFL Network
-
Samsung to make Tesla chips in $16.5B deal
Speed Read Tesla has signed a deal to get its next-generation chips from Samsung
-
FCC greenlights $8B Paramount-Skydance merger
Speed Read The Federal Communications Commission will allow Paramount to merge with the Hollywood studio Skydance
-
Tesla reports plummeting profits
Speed Read The company may soon face more problems with the expiration of federal electric vehicle tax credits
-
Dollar faces historic slump as stocks hit new high
Speed Read While stocks have recovered post-Trump tariffs, the dollar has weakened more than 10% this year