Trump administration tersely declines to recognize Armenian genocide despite unanimous Senate resolution
The Trump administration would like to quickly reject Congress' latest unanimous decision.
Last week, the entire Senate voted to recognize the 1915 Armenian genocide, furthering a near-unanimous vote of approval by the House in October. But after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan seemed to threaten to bring up one of America's own atrocities in retaliation, the State Department declined to take up Congress' measure.
Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) had cosponsored the legislation, which recognized that "from 1915 to 1923, the Ottoman Empire carried out a force deportation of nearly 2 million Armenians, of whom 1.5 million were killed," Cruz said. The legislation had previously faced opposition from Republican senators who worried it would damage the U.S. relationship with Turkey, the present-day location of the Ottoman Empire. That became more likely when, speaking on a pro-government news channel Monday, Erdogan hinted he might officially recognize the genocide of Native Americans committed by European settlers. "Can we speak about America without mentioning [Native Americans]? It is a shameful moment in U.S. history," Erdogan said.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
On Tuesday, the Trump administration gave its unsurprising answer to Congress' resounding call. In a brief statement, a State Department spokesperson said "the position of the administration has not changed," and referred back to Trump's April statement which described "one of the worst mass atrocities of the 20th century" but did not use the word "genocide" — the exact same statement Trump gave two years earlier. Kathryn Krawczyk
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Kathryn is a graduate of Syracuse University, with degrees in magazine journalism and information technology, along with hours to earn another degree after working at SU's independent paper The Daily Orange. She's currently recovering from a horse addiction while living in New York City, and likes to share her extremely dry sense of humor on Twitter.
-
What’s the best way to use your year-end bonus?the explainer Pay down debt, add it to an emergency fund or put it toward retirement
-
What are portable mortgages and how do they work?the explainer Homeowners can transfer their old rates to a new property in the UK and Canada. The Trump administration is considering making it possible in the US.
-
10 concert tours to see this winterThe Week Recommends Keep cozy this winter with a series of concerts from big-name artists
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
