Police 'foil machete terror plot in Sydney raid'
Australian police say two men were ready to carry out atrocity when raided yesterday
Police in Australia say two men arrested with a machete, hunting knife and home-made Islamic State flag in a raid on Tuesday were going to carry out a terror plot later that day.
Australian broadcaster ABC says police believe one of the men had made a video of himself in front of the banner just 20 minutes before police stormed into his suburban Sydney home.
Omar Al-Kutobi, 24, a student originally from Iraq, and Mohammad Kiad, 25, a nurse who came to Australia from Kuwait in 2012 were arrested at their makeshift home in a garage in the suburb of Fairfield and are accused of plotting a terrorist action.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
New South Wales deputy police commissioner Catherine Burn said: "We believe that the men were potentially going to harm somebody, maybe even kill somebody, and potentially using one of the items that we identified and recovered yesterday, potentially a knife."
"When we did the search of the premises, a number of items were located, including a machete, a hunting knife, a home-made flag representing the proscribed terrorist organisation IS, and also a video which depicted a man talking about carrying out an attack.
"I would like to however reassure the community that we are of the view that there is no further imminent attack relating to these two men."
Police say the two were planning to target either beat police officers or a police station, Channel 9 News reports.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
According to Sky News Australia, detectives are trying to establish whether the men had been in contact with IS, the Sunni fighters who have set up their own extremist 'state' in Syria and Iraq.
Burn said the "imminent attack" was "consistent with the messaging coming out of IS".
-
Political cartoons for November 30Cartoons Sunday's political cartoons include the Saudi-China relationship, MAGA spelled wrong, and more
-
Rothermere’s Telegraph takeover: ‘a right-leaning media powerhouse’Talking Point Deal gives Daily Mail and General Trust more than 50% of circulation in the UK newspaper market
-
The US-Saudi relationship: too big to fail?Talking Point With the Saudis investing $1 trillion into the US, and Trump granting them ‘major non-Nato ally’ status, for now the two countries need each other
-
Femicide: Italy’s newest crimeThe Explainer Landmark law to criminalise murder of a woman as an ‘act of hatred’ or ‘subjugation’ but critics say Italy is still deeply patriarchal
-
Brazil’s Bolsonaro behind bars after appeals run outSpeed Read He will serve 27 years in prison
-
Americans traveling abroad face renewed criticism in the Trump eraThe Explainer Some of Trump’s behavior has Americans being questioned
-
Nigeria confused by Trump invasion threatSpeed Read Trump has claimed the country is persecuting Christians
-
Sanae Takaichi: Japan’s Iron Lady set to be the country’s first woman prime ministerIn the Spotlight Takaichi is a member of Japan’s conservative, nationalist Liberal Democratic Party
-
Russia is ‘helping China’ prepare for an invasion of TaiwanIn the Spotlight Russia is reportedly allowing China access to military training
-
Interpol arrests hundreds in Africa-wide sextortion crackdownIN THE SPOTLIGHT A series of stings disrupts major cybercrime operations as law enforcement estimates millions in losses from schemes designed to prey on lonely users
-
China is silently expanding its influence in American citiesUnder the Radar New York City and San Francisco, among others, have reportedly been targeted