Yes, yes, Jack Lew is in line to become Treasury secretary at a time of great economic turmoil, with explosive negotiations looming over cutting the nation's ballooning deficit. But have you seen his wacky, "Lew-py" signature? Ever since President Obama announced this week that he had picked Lew, his chief of staff, to replace outgoing Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, everyone from late-night comedians to political commentators to Obama himself have been making fun of Lew's penmanship. (The Treasury secretary's signature is reproduced on money printed on his watch.) Here's a sampling of some the best jokes about Lew's illegible scrawl:
"I had never noticed Jack's signature, and when this was highlighted yesterday in the press, I considered rescinding my offer to appoint him... Jack assures me that he is going to work to make at least one letter legible in order not to debase our currency, should he be confirmed as secretary of the Treasury."
Jon Stewart on The Daily Show
"That's your signature? Or are you just testing to see if the pen works? Hey Lew, here's a tip: Stop signing all your checks on the teacup ride at Disneyworld."
Stephen Colbert on The Colbert Report
"Is this even a signature, or did he just draw Charlie Brown and give up after the hair?"
Katy Steinmetz, TIME
"Many Americans may only know one thing about Jack Lew: that his signature has got more loops than Toucan Sam."
Exclusive first look at Jack Lew's signature printed. twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew…— Andrew Kaczynski (@BuzzFeedAndrew) January 10, 2013
Jack Lew's signature is bad enough ==> is.gd/Uulwor ==> but it's all the loopy policies that he'll sign off on that scare me!— Michelle Malkin (@michellemalkin) January 10, 2013
Has anyone seen Jack Lew's handwriting for words besides his signature? Maybe he only knows how to make the letter "O."— jimgeraghty (@jimgeraghty) January 10, 2013
Jack Lew's signature almost represents the zeroes of the $1,000,000,000,000 coin. bit.ly/13jeRHm— jimgeraghty (@jimgeraghty) January 10, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 22, 2014
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- What's wrong with Europe’s economy?
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
Subscribe to the Week