- Numbers don't lie March 26
With only days to go before the end-of-month deadline to obtain health insurance or face a fine, a new poll from the Kaiser Family Foundation finds that Republican calls to overturn the law may be wearing thin. In the survey, only 18 percent of respondents favored repealing the law wholesale, while 11 percent supported repealing it and replacing it with a Republican alternative. Combined, that's a paltry 29 percent who wanted to repeal the law in some form. Meanwhile, 49 percent wanted to keep and improve the law, while another 10 percent said it was good as is — good for a total of 59 percent.
Moreover, the repeal/don't repeal split has grown even more in favor of Democrats since last year. Back in October, 37 percent supported repeal, while 47 percent did not. And importantly for Democrats as they stare down a potentially disastrous election year, the survey found that Americans are warming up to the health-care law now that it has taken hold.
All of which is to say: Republicans might need to find a new issue to flog if they want to maintain their election edge all the way to November.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week