Saudi-led airstrike reportedly kills 15 in Yemen as Saudi Prince faces protests in France
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
An airstrike by the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen killed at least 15 people Monday, officials told The Associated Press.
The country is mired in an ongoing conflict between the Yemeni government — backed by Saudi Arabia, the United States, and the United Arab Emirates — and Iran-backed Houthi rebels. The strike hit the southwestern city of Taiz, an area particularly rife with violence.
The deadly airstrike landed as Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman arrived in France to meet with French President Emmanuel Macron to discuss a "strategic partnership." The crown prince was met by protests in Paris, AP reports, as demonstrators denounced Saudi Arabia's role in repeated attacks in Yemen. Human rights organizations have urged Macron to insist that Saudi Arabia lift a blockade of Yemeni access points that has prevented humanitarian aid from entering to help civilians.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The U.N. recorded more than 13,000 civilian casualties in the conflict in Yemen between 2015 and 2017, and nearly 22 million people are in need of aid this year. More than 8 million people in the country don't know how they will get their next meal, U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres said last week. Guterres has called the war in Yemen the worst humanitarian crisis in the world and requested increased funding and improved access to aid Yemeni citizens.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Summer Meza has worked at The Week since 2018, serving as a staff writer, a news writer and currently the deputy editor. As a proud news generalist, she edits everything from political punditry and science news to personal finance advice and film reviews. Summer has previously written for Newsweek and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, covering national politics, transportation and the cannabis industry.
-
The year’s ‘it’ vegetable is a versatile, economical wonderthe week recommends How to think about thinking about cabbage
-
Moltbook: The AI-only social networkFeature Bots interact on Moltbook like humans use Reddit
-
Judge orders Washington slavery exhibit restoredSpeed Read The Trump administration took down displays about slavery at the President’s House Site in Philadelphia
-
Judge orders Washington slavery exhibit restoredSpeed Read The Trump administration took down displays about slavery at the President’s House Site in Philadelphia
-
Hyatt chair joins growing list of Epstein files losersSpeed Read Thomas Pritzker stepped down as executive chair of the Hyatt Hotels Corporation over his ties with Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell
-
Judge blocks Hegseth from punishing Kelly over videoSpeed Read Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth pushed for the senator to be demoted over a video in which he reminds military officials they should refuse illegal orders
-
Trump’s EPA kills legal basis for federal climate policySpeed Read The government’s authority to regulate several planet-warming pollutants has been repealed
-
House votes to end Trump’s Canada tariffsSpeed Read Six Republicans joined with Democrats to repeal the president’s tariffs
-
Bondi, Democrats clash over Epstein in hearingSpeed Read Attorney General Pam Bondi ignored survivors of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and demanded that Democrats apologize to Trump
-
El Paso airspace closure tied to FAA-Pentagon standoffSpeed Read The closure in the Texas border city stemmed from disagreements between the Federal Aviation Administration and Pentagon officials over drone-related tests
-
Judge blocks Trump suit for Michigan voter rollsSpeed Read A Trump-appointed federal judge rejected the administration’s demand for voters’ personal data
