Will there be a new war between Israel and Hezbollah?
Old foes traded fire on Sunday after days of simmering tensions

Israel has attacked targets in southern Lebanon after Hezbollah fired several anti-tank rockets into northern Israel in retaliation for a reported Israeli drone attack in Beirut last week.
The Israel Defence Force said “two or three anti-tank missiles” were fired from southern Lebanon toward an army base and a military ambulance, with no deaths or injuries.
However, Hezbollah is quoted in local media as saying it had destroyed an Israeli tank, killing and injuring those on board.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Lt Col Jonathan Conricus said Israel had fired back with approximately 100 artillery shells and that attack helicopters had also struck the area.
The exchanges have heightened speculation that there could be a major conflict between the old foes. Haaretz reports that Benjamin Netanyahu, the prime minister, has said Israel is ready for any scenario.
Tensions have been rising between Israel and Hezbollah, with the leader of the Shia militant group, Hassan Nasrallah, warning on Saturday that all options were open to counter Israeli drones violating Lebanon's sovereignty.
Israeli news website Ynet says the Israeli army is “readying for war with Hezbollah”.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Former Israeli prime minister Ehud Olmert has accused Netanyahu of using military operations for political gain before the upcoming election. “It's unquestionably pure politics and prime minister Netanyahu does it unstoppably,” he said.
Accusing Netanyahu of scaremongering, he added: “He makes it look like we are standing before a horrible threat, and he steers the wheel to spare us from the threat in the North and in the South.”
It is 13 years since Israel went to war with Hezbollah. Reuters says that the month-long conflict in 2006 killed nearly 1,200 Lebanese people, mostly civilians, and 165 Israelis.
Whether the latest exchange of fire leads to a new sustained conflict remains to be seen but residents in northern Israel were sheltering in bunkers yesterday, evoking memories of the 2006 war.
The Guardian reports that Israel’s president, Reuven Rivlin, has said the country is “ready and willing to defend Israel’s citizens wherever they are, without hesitation”.
-
August 30 editorial cartoons
Cartoons Saturday’s political cartoons include Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Donald Trump's role reversal and King George III
-
5 bullseye cartoons about the reasons for mass shootings
Cartoons Artists take on gun worship, a price paid, and more
-
Lisa Cook and Trump's battle for control the US Fed
Talking Point The president's attempts to fire one of the Federal Reserve's seven governor is represents 'a stunning escalation' of his attacks on the US central bank
-
UN votes to end Lebanon peacekeeping mission
Speed Read The Trump administration considers the UN's Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) to be a 'waste of money'
-
China is silently expanding its influence in American cities
Under the Radar New York City and San Francisco, among others, have reportedly been targeted
-
Settling the West Bank: a death knell for a Palestine state?
In the Spotlight The reality on the ground is that the annexation of the West Bank is all but a done deal
-
The IDF's manpower problem
The Explainer Israeli military's shortage of up to 12,000 troops results in call-up for tens of thousands of reservists
-
Trump halts Gaza visas as Israelis protest war
Speed Read Laura Loomer voiced her concerns over injured Palestinian kids being brought to the US for treatment and a potential 'Islamic invasion'
-
Israeli security cabinet OKs Gaza City takeover
Speed Read Netanyahu approved a proposal for Israeli Defense Forces to take over the largest population center in the Gaza Strip
-
An ancient Israeli cave teaches new archaeological lessons
The Explainer The cave is believed to be one of the world's oldest burial sites
-
How China uses 'dark fleets' to circumvent trade sanctions
The Explainer The fleets are used to smuggle goods like oil and fish