Britain First gets ‘hundreds of membership applications’ after Trump retweets
Far-right group’s deputy leader says US president’s posts amounted to an endorsement
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Britain First claims it has received hundreds of new membership applications after Donald Trump retweeted three anti-Muslim videos posted by the far-right group’s deputy leader Jayda Fransen.
Paul Golding, the group’s leader, told The Times that Britain First received hundreds of membership applications in the 24 hours after the US president retweeted the three videos to his 43.6 million followers.
“Its membership was previously estimated at fewer than 1,000,” reports The Times.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The group’s Facebook page “has been gaining supporters at a rate of more than one per minute since the president’s tweets”, adds The Sun.
Golding told The Times that Fransen had also gained more than 25,000 Twitter followers since Trump posted shared her tweets on Wednesday.
Fransen claims that the president’s actions amounted to an endorsement. She has also called on Trump to intervene in her forthcoming trial on charges of using threatening, abusive or insulting words in a speech at a rally in Belfast in August.
Fransen - who is on bail for religiously aggravated harassment over a separate incident earlier this year - said in a video posted online: “On behalf of myself and every citizen of Britain, and for every man and woman who has fought and died for us to have freedom of speech, I am appealing to you for your help.”
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Attention has now turned to whether Prime Minister Theresa May will cancel Trump’s planned state visit to the UK. Justice Minister Sam Gyimah is the most senior Conservative politician to voice his opposition to the visit, saying he was “deeply uncomfortable” about the idea.
“Whitehall sources” say plans are being drawn up for Trump “to make a pared-down visit to London in February to mark the opening of the new US embassy”, reports Politico.
“If he still wants to come, there’s really not much we can do to stop him,” one UK official told The Times’s political editor Francis Elliott.
-
6 exquisite homes with vast acreageFeature Featuring an off-the-grid contemporary home in New Mexico and lakefront farmhouse in Massachusetts
-
Film reviews: ‘Wuthering Heights,’ ‘Good Luck, Have Fun, Don’t Die,’ and ‘Sirat’Feature An inconvenient love torments a would-be couple, a gonzo time traveler seeks to save humanity from AI, and a father’s desperate search goes deeply sideways
-
Political cartoons for February 16Cartoons Monday’s political cartoons include President's Day, a valentine from the Epstein files, and more
-
Trump’s EPA kills legal basis for federal climate policySpeed Read The government’s authority to regulate several planet-warming pollutants has been repealed
-
House votes to end Trump’s Canada tariffsSpeed Read Six Republicans joined with Democrats to repeal the president’s tariffs
-
Bondi, Democrats clash over Epstein in hearingSpeed Read Attorney General Pam Bondi ignored survivors of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and demanded that Democrats apologize to Trump
-
How corrupt is the UK?The Explainer Decline in standards ‘risks becoming a defining feature of our political culture’ as Britain falls to lowest ever score on global index
-
Judge blocks Trump suit for Michigan voter rollsSpeed Read A Trump-appointed federal judge rejected the administration’s demand for voters’ personal data
-
US to send 200 troops to Nigeria to train armySpeed Read Trump has accused the West African government of failing to protect Christians from terrorist attacks
-
Grand jury rejects charging 6 Democrats for ‘orders’ videoSpeed Read The jury refused to indict Democratic lawmakers for a video in which they urged military members to resist illegal orders
-
Trump links funding to name on Penn StationSpeed Read Trump “can restart the funding with a snap of his fingers,” a Schumer insider said