EU immigration to UK at five-year low
Net migration has risen since Brexit vote as more people arrive from outside the bloc
The number of EU citizens migrating to UK has fallen to its lowest level in five years, even as total net migration rose to almost 300,000 in 2017.
According to official figures from the Office for National Statistics, migration from the EU stood at 101,000 in the year to the end of December.
The number of EU citizens coming to the UK “looking for work” decreased by a third in the last year, but this was more than offset by an increase in the number coming from outside the EU, which is now at its highest level for 13 years.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The number of new arrivals is almost three times the government target. During last year’s general election, Theresa May reiterated the contentious promise first made by her predecessor, David Cameron, to reduce overall net migration to the “tens of thousands”.
Lord Green of Deddington, chairman of Migration Watch UK, which campaigns for lower immigration, described the new figures as “very disappointing”.
“It’s time for the government to get serious about reducing immigration instead of caving in to every demand of the immigration lobby” he said.
The ONS data is for the first full calendar year since the Brexit vote, which The Daily Telegraph said showed the much-fabled Brexodus, the mass exodus of EU nationals to the continent, “is not happening”.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
BBC home affairs correspondent, Danny Shaw, said that the surge in migration from countries outside Europe “suggests that even if the government takes greater control of EU migration after Brexit, the challenge of getting the right level of immigration from outside Europe remains”.
It comes as a new report warns the UK could lose track of tens of thousands of of EU migrants as they lose their right to remain in the UK after Brexit.
The paper from the Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford warns that unless the government develops a way of measuring the number of EU nationals who have received “settled status”, those who never apply could fall through the gaps.
Last month the Home Secretary, Sajid Javid, unveiled the government’s long-awaited scheme for EU nationals currently living in the UK.
EU citizens and family members, believed to number around 3.5 million, who have been in the UK for five years by the end of 2020 will be able to apply for “settled status”, meaning they are free to continue living and working in the UK indefinitely.
The government said last week that it wanted to control the number of EU immigrants after Brexit to address the public's concerns about pressures on public services and wages for low earners.
But the Institute of Directors said businesses were struggling to find people with the skills they needed and urged Theresa May to keep the door open on immigration.
-
Political cartoons for November 30Cartoons Sunday's political cartoons include the Saudi-China relationship, MAGA spelled wrong, and more
-
Rothermere’s Telegraph takeover: ‘a right-leaning media powerhouse’Talking Point Deal gives Daily Mail and General Trust more than 50% of circulation in the UK newspaper market
-
The US-Saudi relationship: too big to fail?Talking Point With the Saudis investing $1 trillion into the US, and Trump granting them ‘major non-Nato ally’ status, for now the two countries need each other
-
Why do Republicans fear immigration raids in North Carolina?Today’s Big Question Trump’s aggressive enforcement sparks backlash worries
-
Memo signals Trump review of 233k refugeesSpeed Read The memo also ordered all green card applications for the refugees to be halted
-
The ‘Kavanaugh stop’Feature Activists say a Supreme Court ruling has given federal agents a green light to racially profile Latinos
-
Catholic bishops rebuke Trump on immigrationSpeed Read ‘We feel compelled’ to ‘raise our voices in defense of God-given human dignity,’ the bishops said
-
Gregory Bovino: the officer leading Trump’s strong-arm immigration tacticsIn the Spotlight He has been referred to as the Border Patrol’s ‘commander-at-large’
-
Border Patrol gets scrutiny in court, gains power in ICESpeed Read Half of the new ICE directors are reportedly from DHS’s more aggressive Customs and Border Protection branch
-
Chicago: Scenes from a city under siegeFeature Chicago is descending into chaos as masked federal agents target people in public spaces and threaten anyone who tries to document the arrests
-
How are ICE’s recruitment woes complicating Trump’s immigration agenda?TODAY’S BIG QUESTION Lowered training standards and ‘athletically allergic’ hopefuls are hindering the White House plan to turn the Department of Homeland Security into a federal police force