Do 3D-printed guns work and why have they been blocked in the US?
Controversial weapon plans were due to released publicly later today

A US federal judge has blocked the release of blueprints that provide instructions for the manufacture of 3D-printed guns, only a couple of hours before the plans were due to be released to the public.
US District Court Judge Robert Lasnik has sided with eight Democratic attorneys general to block the release of the plans, despite the fact that the company behind the plans – Texas-based Defense Distributed – had already won approval in court to release them.
The question of whether Defense Distributed had the right to publicly release the plans has been at the centre of a years-long controversy, with anti-gun activists concerned that the so-called “ghost guns” - which can be printed at home and work like regular guns - would be untraceable, and easy to construct by anyone with access to the right technology.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
“All you need is a little money and you can download a blueprint from the internet to make a gun at home. No background check. No criminal history check,” senate minority leader, Chuck Schumer, said.
However, following a lengthy court battle that Defense Distributed fought with the assistance of the Second Amendment Foundation, a pro-firearms group that defends the right to own guns, the company reached an agreement with the US state department to allow their release.
The BBC reports that despite the official deadline for the release of the plans was supposed to be today, “more than 1,000 people have downloaded the files for building an AR-15 rifle – the same gun used in many of America's mass shootings – since Friday”.
Similarly, plans for a 3D-printed handgun were made public in 2013 and were downloaded hundreds of thousands of times, before the US state department ordered them to be removed from the internet.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Critics of the ban, including the National Rifle Association, have pointed out that it is currently “unlawful to manufacture, import, sell, ship, deliver, possess, transfer or receive an undetectable firearm”, the Washington Post says.
-
Music reviews: Chance the Rapper, Cass McCombs, and Molly Tuttle
Feature "Star Line," "Interior Live Oak," and "So Long Little Miss Sunshine"
-
Film reviews: Eden and Honey Don't!
Feature Seekers of a new utopia spiral into savagery and a queer private eye prowls a high-desert town
-
Critics' choice: Three chefs fulfilling their ambitions
Feature Kwame Onwuachi's grand second act, Travis Lett makes a comeback, and Jeff Watson's new Korean restaurant
-
China is silently expanding its influence in American cities
Under the Radar New York City and San Francisco, among others, have reportedly been targeted
-
How China uses 'dark fleets' to circumvent trade sanctions
The Explainer The fleets are used to smuggle goods like oil and fish
-
One year after mass protests, why are Kenyans taking to the streets again?
today's big question More than 60 protesters died during demonstrations in 2024
-
What happens if tensions between India and Pakistan boil over?
TODAY'S BIG QUESTION As the two nuclear-armed neighbors rattle their sabers in the wake of a terrorist attack on the contested Kashmir region, experts worry that the worst might be yet to come
-
Why Russia removed the Taliban's terrorist designation
The Explainer Russia had designated the Taliban as a terrorist group over 20 years ago
-
Inside the Israel-Turkey geopolitical dance across Syria
THE EXPLAINER As Syria struggles in the wake of the Assad regime's collapse, its neighbors are carefully coordinating to avoid potential military confrontations
-
'Like a sound from hell': Serbia and sonic weapons
The Explainer Half a million people sign petition alleging Serbian police used an illegal 'sound cannon' to disrupt anti-government protests
-
The arrest of the Philippines' former president leaves the country's drug war in disarray
In the Spotlight Rodrigo Duterte was arrested by the ICC earlier this month