The 4,301-calorie entree: America's worst meal?
At 540 calories, KFC's controversial Double Down sandwich is chicken feed compared to these 7 shamelessly unhealthy dishes
America remains fascinated by the KFC Double Down, the enigmatic fast-food sensation that sandwiches cheese and bacon between fried chicken breasts. (See the KFC Double Down up close.) Though the Double Down has a poor nutrition profile (at 540 calories, it contains 10g of unsaturated fat and 1380mg of salt), it actually compares very favorably to entrees from America's most popular chain restaurants. To put all this in perspective, the FDA recommends adults consume around 2,000 calories a day, including no more than 2,300 mg of salt and 20g of saturated fat.
Here's a list of some of America's biggest dietary challenges:
1. BEEF BACK RIBS, Claim JumpersDescription: "Slow-roasted then flame-broiled and loaded with flavor — will satisfy your hearty appetite"'Nutritional' data: 4,301 calories, which includes a whopping 156g of saturated fat and almost 4 times the FDA's recommended daily salt intake (7,623mg).Equivalent to eating: Nearly 8 of KFC's Double Downs
2. FRESH MEX SAMPLER, ChevysDescription: "Our quest for the best is all about your enjoyment, one Fresh Mex bite at a time"'Nutritional' data: When all Fresh Mex bites are tallied, a diner will have sampled 2,560 calories, 53g of saturated fat, and 4,130mg of salt.Equivalent to eating: 4.75 Double Downs
3. JALAPENO SMOKEHOUSE BURGER w/ JALAPENO RANCH, Chili's
Description: "A crowd-pleasing favorite topped with apple-wood smoked bacon, cheddar, red onion and mayo"'Nutritional' data: With 2,130 calories, 43g of saturated fat, and another wildly high sodium count (6,460mg), this burger might be better shared with a small crowd.Equivalent to eating: 3.9 Double Downs
4. SMOKIN' Q THREE-PACK BURGER, Denny's
Description: "Mini BBQ cheeseburgers topped with onion crispers and bacon"'Nutritional' data: This "mini" feast contains about the FDA's recommended daily calorie count in one 2,020 calorie entree, with 22g of saturated fat and 3,570mg of salt. Equivalent to eating: 3.7 Double Downs
5. CRISPY ORANGE CHICKEN BOWL, Applebee's
Description: "A taste of the Orient—Applebee's style. Breaded chicken covered in a spicy-sweet orange glaze over our almond rice pilaf"'Nutritional' data: The Orient, as interpreted by Applebee's, is extremely filling; this dish delivers 1,900 calories, 13g of fat, and twice as much salt (4,330mg) as you're supposed to eat all day.Equivalent to eating: 3.5 Double Downs
6.DINNER-SIZED PARMESAN-CRUSTED SOLE, Romano's Description: "Hand-breaded and sauteed then topped with lemon butter sauce and capers. Served with sun-dried tomato and spinach orzo pasta."'Nutritional' data: No doubt that parmesan crust and buttery sauce contribute to a 1710-calorie count, along with 39g of saturated fat and 2,830mg of salt.Equivalent to eating: 3.1 Double Downs
7. SUNRISE QUESADILLA, Ruby Tuesday'sDescription: "Served with Hollandaise sauce, sour cream, and salsa"'Nutritional' data: Why not ingest the bulk of your daily calorie allotment early, with this 1,589-calorie brunch special. It also contains 2,983mg of salt.Equivalent to eating: 2.9 Double Downs
All of the nutritional information comes from restaurant menus. Amounts do not include sides/dressing unless stated.