10 of the zingiest zingers from the first presidential debate
Audiences hoping the first presidential debate would be a knock-out, drag-down fight between candidates were not disappointed: Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump went toe-to-toe on everything from NAFTA to race relations to birtherism and missing emails. While most pundits seem to agree Clinton rose above her rival by the end of the night, the debate was not without a number of biting lines from both sides of the stage.
Zinger-hunters might have been nervous in the beginning, though, with Clinton quipping that Trump's tax plan was "
If Hillary's best zinger is "Trumped up," we are all gonna die.
— Matt Fuller (@MEPFuller) September 27, 2016
Thankfully, it only got better from there. Here are the top 10 zingers from the first presidential debate:
10. Clinton sure knows how to shut someone down: "Donald, I know you live in your own reality, but that is not the facts."
— Good Morning America (@GMA) September 27, 2016
9. Clinton called Trump out for his sexist language about women, most memorably in the example of the former Miss Universe winner, Alicia Machado, whom Trump once called "Miss Housekeeping." While Trump vehemently denied such allegations on the debate stage, Clinton's campaign released a no-nonsense ad as soon as the debate ended — featuring Machado herself:
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) September 27, 2016
8. Trump's campaign may have delivered one of the candidate's biggest burns on Twitter, but it's hard to imagine what Clinton would have replied to this fiery zinger:
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 27, 2016
— ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) September 27, 2016
6. They say 93 percent of communication is body language, and Clinton has got the forward facing side-eye down to an art:
I have to give it to Hillary for giving side-eye while looking straight ahead. pic.twitter.com/aDGDRAnhMP
— Alexander Chee (@alexanderchee) September 27, 2016
Yup, that's me
You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation pic.twitter.com/wGArnNx6qE
— Hanif Abdurraqib (@NifMuhammad) September 27, 2016
5. "I will release my tax returns — against my lawyer's wishes — when she releases her 33,000 e-mails that have been deleted."
— ALWAYS TRUMP! (@Always_Trump) September 27, 2016
4. Clinton: "I have a feeling that by the end of the evening, I will be blamed for everything that's ever happened." Trump: "Why not?"
— Sky News (@SkyNews) September 27, 2016
3. When in doubt, remind people that you're smart:
2. Shake, shake, shake it off:
1. And the zingiest zinger of all: "Donald just criticized me for preparing for this debate. Know what else I prepared for? To be president."
Clinton: "Donald just criticized me for preparing for this debate. Know what else I prepared for? To be president." pic.twitter.com/ddgiYmNTw2
— POLITICO (@politico) September 27, 2016
Ten oofs out of 10.