The daily gossip: Nick Cannon welcomes yet another child, first image of Brendan Fraser playing a 600-pound man revealed, and more
Today's top entertainment and celebrity news
Nick Cannon welcomes his 8th child
Another day, another new Nick Cannon child. The Masked Singer host has welcomed his eighth child, his first with Bre Tiesi. The 31-year-old model confirmed her "all natural unmedicated home birth" on Instagram. This means Cannon has now had children with five different women. He has twins with ex Mariah Carey, two kids with Brittany Bell, twins with Abby De La Rosa, a newborn baby boy with Tiesi, and he also had a son with Alyssa Scott who died last year. "Daddy showed the F up for us," Tiesi wrote on Instagram. "I couldn't of done it without you." Well, yeah, probably not. Cannon, who has said his attempt at celibacy failed miserably, recently told Entertainment Tonight it's "safe to bet" he'll have at least three more kids in 2022 — though he refused to provide an exact number, as "that would take all the fun out of it."
First image revealed of Brendan Fraser as 600-pound man in Oscar contender
The Brendanaissance has officially commenced. A24 on Tuesday revealed the first image of Brendan Fraser in Darren Aronofsky's upcoming film The Whale, for which the actor transformed into a 600-pound man. The movie stars Fraser as a middle-aged man who struggles to reconnect with his teenage daughter, played by Stranger Things' Sadie Sink. It's a big acting comeback for Fraser, who has had few movie roles of major significance since the end of the Mummy trilogy in 2008, though he recently starred on DC's Doom Patrol. But assuming it's any good, The Whale is expected to be a major Oscar contender, and pundits already have Fraser down as an early Best Actor frontrunner. In other Oscar news, Deadline reported Tuesday that Martin Scorsese's highly-anticipated next film, Killers of the Flower Moon (which also stars Fraser), is rumored to be of this year's awards race, as it possibly won't debut until 2023 — leaving plenty of room for a Morbius sweep.
Lil Nas X, Jack Harlow, and Kendrick Lamar lead the VMA nominations
I want my MTV ... VMA nominations! Well, here they are. Jack Harlow, Kendrick Lamar, and Lil Nas X lead the nominations for the 2022 MTV Video Music Awards, with all three scoring seven nods. Nas and Harlow earned a bunch of nominations for their song "Industry Baby," and Lamar was up for "N95," "The Heart Part 5," and "Family Ties." Harry Styles and Doja Cat both picked up six nominations, and Drake, Ed Sheeran, Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa, Taylor Swift, and the Weekend all earned five. Madonna also scored a Best Longform Video nod for "Madame X," making her the only artist to ever be nominated at the VMAs in every decade since the ceremony's inception. Taylor Swift's nominations, meanwhile, were for her 10-minute "All Too Well" video starring Sadie Sink and Dylan O'Brien, which was up in categories like Video of the Year even though we were specifically told it's not a music video but a short film. Totally different things!
'Shang-Chi' director tapped for next 'Avengers' film
Avengers directors ... assemble! Destin Daniel Cretton, director of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, has been tapped to helm the next Avengers film, Avengers: The Kang Dynasty, according to multiple reports. The movie, which will see the Avengers face Jonathan Majors' Kang the Conqueror, was recently announced at Comic-Con for a 2025 release. Cretton will become the fourth person tasked with directing an Avengers movie after Joss Whedon and Joe and Anthony Russo, the directing duo behind Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame. The Kang Dynasty will be followed just six months later by another Avengers film, Avengers: Secret Wars, which is expected to be an epic multiversal finale on par with Endgame. It isn't clear who's making that one, as Variety says it won't be Cretton. The Russo Brothers have expressed interest, but as we'll soon learn, they're a bit tied up with another cinematic universe. For Kang Dynasty, though, Marvel decided they'd give the director of Shang-Chi a ring.
Netflix goes all in on the 'Gray Man' universe
Great news: that movie you put on in the background and half-watched while folding laundry last weekend has spawned its own universe. Netflix has officially ordered both a sequel and spinoff of The Gray Man, the action flick starring Ryan Gosling that debuted last Friday. Gosling will return for the sequel, as will directors Joe and Anthony Russo and co-writer Stephen McFeely. Meanwhile, Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese, the screenwriters behind Deadpool, will pen a spinoff that will "explore a different element of The Gray Man universe," whatever that means. The espionage thriller was Netflix's most expensive movie of all time, costing a whopping $200 million. But critics generally felt it wasn't worth all that money, with IndieWire calling it the "summer's blandest movie." Along with Red Notice, the genre of Netflix films where you'd fail a quiz on the plot five minutes after the credits roll is still going strong.