Biden issues executive order cracking down on 'discredited and dangerous' conversion therapy
President Biden will sign an executive order "Advancing Equality for LGBTQI+ Individuals," the White House announced Wednesday.
In a statement, the administration said the order cracks down on the "discredited and dangerous practice" of conversion therapy, directs the Department of Health and Human Services to help prevent LGBT youth suicide by expanding access to mental health resources, and calls on HHS to "study and address the disproportionate rates of child removals that LGBTQI+ parents face, especially women of color."
"I have no room in my heart for hatred and I have no time for intolerance, but we don't live in a world where everyone feels that way, and this administration understands that more action is needed," said HHS Assistant Secretary for Health Admiral Rachel Levine, who is transgender.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Ryan T. Anderson, the president of the conservative Ethics and Public Policy Center, called the proposal "Orwellian." Biden's order, Anderson wrote, "would prevent efforts to help girls identify as girls. That's what they're calling 'conversion therapy.' Meanwhile it'll expand efforts to give girls puberty blockers and testosterone. That's what they're calling 'gender affirmation.'"
Politico notes that the order "comes on the heels of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' move to end gender-affirming care for minors." Earlier this month Florida Surgeon General Joseph Ladapo, asked the Florida Board of Medicine to "establish a standard of care" that would prohibit doctors from providing puberty blockers, hormone therapy, and gender-reassignment surgery to minors.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Grayson Quay was the weekend editor at TheWeek.com. His writing has also been published in National Review, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Modern Age, The American Conservative, The Spectator World, and other outlets. Grayson earned his M.A. from Georgetown University in 2019.
-
How music can help recovery from surgeryUnder The Radar A ‘few gentle notes’ can make a difference to the body during medical procedures
-
Nursing is no longer considered a professional degree by the Department of EducationThe Explainer An already strained industry is hit with another blow
-
6 gripping museum exhibitions to view this winterThe Week Recommends Discover the real Grandma Moses and Frida Kahlo
-
Memo signals Trump review of 233k refugeesSpeed Read The memo also ordered all green card applications for the refugees to be halted
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
