Attorney for ex-Trump Org. CFO says there's 'strong reason' to believe more indictments are coming


A lawyer for former Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg, who was charged earlier this summer with grand larceny and criminal tax fraud, said on Monday that his client expects there will be more indictments in the case, now that new tax documents were discovered in the basement of an alleged co-conspirator.
Attorney Bryan Skarlatos said that before the pre-trial hearing in New York State Supreme Court, the documents were turned over to the defense by the Manhattan district attorney's office. "We have strong reason to believe there could be other indictments coming," Skarlatos said.
Skarlatos did not mention any names, but prosecutors have been investigating several Trump Organization employees as part of the probe, CNN reports, including COO Matthew Calamari Sr. and his son, Matthew Calamari Jr., the corporate director of security. Nick Gravante, a lawyer representing the Calamaris, said his clients "remain in discussions with the district attorney's office" regarding Calamari Sr. and they "believe there is no basis for indicting" him.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Manhattan prosecutors have accused Weisselberg and the Trump Organization of engaging in a 15-year tax evasion scheme, where the company gave Weisselberg perks, including private school tuition for two relatives and an apartment, in place of compensation. Through this plan, Weisselberg was able to evade taxes on $1.76 million in income, prosectors allege.
Weisselberg has pleaded not guilty, and while the Trump Organization was indicted, former President Donald Trump has not been charged. The next court date for the case was set for July 12, 2022, but the trial isn't expected to begin until August or September.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
Book reviews: ‘Red Scare: Blacklists, McCarthyism, and the Making of Modern America’ and ‘How to End a Story: Collected Diaries, 1978–1998’
Feature A political ‘witch hunt’ and Helen Garner’s journal entries
By The Week US Published
-
The backlash against ChatGPT's Studio Ghibli filter
The Explainer The studio's charming style has become part of a nebulous social media trend
By Theara Coleman, The Week US Published
-
Why are student loan borrowers falling behind on payments?
Today's Big Question Delinquencies surge as the Trump administration upends the program
By Joel Mathis, The Week US Published
-
Why are student loan borrowers falling behind on payments?
Today's Big Question Delinquencies surge as the Trump administration upends the program
By Joel Mathis, The Week US Published
-
WHCA rejects White House press seating grab
Speed Read The White House Correspondents' Association objected to the Trump administration's bid to control where journalists sit during press briefings
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sends more migrants to El Salvador jail
Speed Read Another 17 Venezuelan alleged gang members have been deported to a notorious prison
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Law firms: Caving to White House pressure
Feature Trump targets major law firms tied to his past investigations
By The Week US Published
-
Rule of law: Are we in a constitutional crisis?
Feature Donald Trump defies federal court order to halt deportation flights to El Salvador
By The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Why does Donald Trump want Greenland?
The Explainer Trump is not the only US president who has tried to gain control of Greenland
By The Week UK Published