BBC pauses probe into presenter ‘sex scandal’ as police take over

Met Police weighing up whether to launch criminal investigation as Rishi Sunak calls claims ‘shocking and concerning’

BBC
BBC pledges to ‘pass any material’ on suspended presenter to police as war of words with The Sun escalates
(Image credit: Leon Neal/Getty Images)

The BBC has paused an investigation into a suspended presenter accused of paying a teenager for sexually explicit photos, at the request of the Metropolitan Police.

The Sun claimed the story was based on sworn affadavits from the parents of the teen, who was allegedly paid tens of thousands of pounds over several years by the unnamed male presenter. A spokesperson for the paper said the parents contacted the BBC but “their complaint was not acted upon”.

The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

SUBSCRIBE & SAVE
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/flexiimages/jacafc5zvs1692883516.jpg

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up

After the corporation denied ignoring the complaint, The Sun today doubled down on its claims in a front-page article headlined: “Parents: BBC lied.”

In response, the BBC has released an updated timeline showing that the family made a complaint on 19 May but claiming that its Corporate Investigations Team could not make contact with the “complainant”.

The BBC also published excerpts from a letter sent by a lawyer representing the teen claiming the statement made the young person’s mother to The Sun was “totally wrong and there was no truth to it”. The allegations reported in the paper “are rubbish”, the letter said.

The paper has “effectively staked its reputation on the parents’ testimony being true”, said Press Gazette, and faces a “a seismic blow” to its reputation if that proves not to be the case.

As the war of words escalated, Rishi Sunak said earlier today that the allegations were “shocking” and “concerning”. Speaking en route to a Nato summit in Lithuania, the prime minister said that his culture secretary had been reassured by the BBC on Sunday that the corporation’s response would be “rigorous” and “swift”.

Explore More

Jamie Timson is the UK news editor, curating The Week UK's daily morning newsletter and setting the agenda for the day's news output. He was first a member of the team from 2015 to 2019, progressing from intern to senior staff writer, and then rejoined in September 2022. As a founding panellist on “The Week Unwrapped” podcast, he has discussed politics, foreign affairs and conspiracy theories, sometimes separately, sometimes all at once. In between working at The Week, Jamie was a senior press officer at the Department for Transport, with a penchant for crisis communications, working on Brexit, the response to Covid-19 and HS2, among others.