2016 GOP Food Fight
Here are some of Marco Rubio's best new zingers for Donald Trump
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) has taken to insulting Republican presidential rival Donald Trump more in sorrow than in anger, he told a rally of about 3,000 supporters in northern Virginia on Sunday. "I had hoped that this would be a campaign only about ideas," Rubio said, before trying out a few new taunts about Trump's skin color, honesty, and, um, hand size. Here are a list of some of the new zingers Rubio unveiled on Sunday:
- "Friends do not let friends vote for con artists."
- "He doesn't sweat because his pores are clogged with the spray tan he uses. Donald is not going to make American great again; he's going to make America orange."
- "He's always calling me little Marco. And I'll admit, he's taller than me. He's, like, 6'2" — which is why I don't understand why his hands are the size of a guy that's 5'2". I just see his hands — they're like this. And you know what they say about men with small hands... you can't trust them!"
- "There is a lunatic in North Korea with nuclear weapons. And some would say a lunatic trying to get ahold of nuclear weapons in America."
- "We have the Chinese government taking over the South China Sea, building up their military, stealing our inventions, and making Donald Trump's ties. And hats."
Rubio advisers see the risks of crudely mocking Trump, but "we came to the conclusion that if being a part of the circus is the price you have to pay in order for us to ultimately be able to talk about substantive policy, then that’s what we’re going to do," said adviser Todd Harris. He noted that Rubio's speeches are now being broadcast live on TV, and Rubio appears to be getting inside Trump's head. Still, maybe he should hire John Oliver's writers. You can watch Rubio deliver some of his new Trump lines below. Peter Weber