Jeb Bush says he won't vote for Donald Trump as Republican leaders split over the nominee


Donald Trump may be the GOP's sole remaining candidate for the presidential nomination, but that doesn't mean top Republicans are full-throatedly embracing him. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush announced in a Facebook post Friday that he would not vote for Trump because he has not shown the "temperament or strength of character" required in a president. He also added that Trump is "not a consistent conservative" and "has not displayed a respect for the Constitution." Bush, once considered the frontrunner of the GOP primary race, clarified that he would not be casting a vote for Hillary Clinton, though he did say he would advocate for down-ballot Republicans.
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) also announced Friday that he could not "in good conscience" support Trump's bid for the White House. Graham, who dropped out of the presidential race in December, has been famously hard on Trump. Trump promptly issued a response to the senator: "While I will unify the party, Lindsey Graham has shown himself to be beyond rehabilitation. And like the voters who rejected him, so will I!"
Bush and Graham join House Speaker Paul Ryan as top-tier Republicans who have withheld their support from Trump. Bush's father and brother, both former presidents, have also declined to issue an endorsement of Trump — though Bush 43's former vice president, Dick Cheney, told CNN on Friday that he has always supported the GOP nominee and would do the same for Trump.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Create an account with the same email registered to your subscription to unlock access.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Kimberly Alters is the news editor at TheWeek.com. She is a graduate of the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University.
-
Diana Henry picks her favourite books
The Week Recommends The food writer shares works by Claire Keegan, Molly O'Neill and Richard Yates
By The Week UK Published
-
Sudoku hard: April 4, 2025
The Week's daily hard sudoku puzzle
By The Week Staff Published
-
Codeword: April 4, 2025
The Week's daily codeword puzzle
By The Week Staff Published
-
Trump rolls out tariffs on virtually all imports
Speed Read On "Liberation Day," Trump announced a 10% baseline tariff on all imports to America and higher reciprocal tariffs for some 60 other countries
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Sen. Booker's 25-hour speech beats Thurmond
Speed Read He spoke for the longest time in recorded Senate history, protesting the Trump administration's policies
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Bondi seeks death penalty for Luigi Mangione
Speed Read Mangione was charged with fatally shooting UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson last year
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Democrats win costly Wisconsin court seat
Speed Read Democrats prevailed in an election for the Wisconsin Supreme Court despite Elon Musk's robust financial support of the Republican candidate
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
WHCA rejects White House press seating grab
Speed Read The White House Correspondents' Association objected to the Trump administration's bid to control where journalists sit during press briefings
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sends more migrants to El Salvador jail
Speed Read Another 17 Venezuelan alleged gang members have been deported to a notorious prison
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published