Democrats say latest flap proves House Benghazi Committee is 'beyond repair'


The House Select Committee on Benghazi hasn't held a public hearing since former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's marathon testimony in October, but that doesn't mean it has ceased operating. On Sunday, two senior Democrats on the committee, Reps. Elijah Cummings (Md.) and Adam Smith (Wash.), sent a letter to committee Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) accusing him of omitting exculpatory statements from the committee Republicans' lawyer when he attacked complaints from the Pentagon.
On April 28, Stephen C. Hedger, assistant secretary of defense for legislative affairs, complained that the Benghazi panel was sending a costly "crescendo" of duplicative and unnecessary records requests, including some based on claims from Facebook and talk radio. Gowdy responded with a letter to Defense Secretary Ash Carter saying Hedger's letter was "riddled with factual inaccuracies" and was "a disservice to the public."
In their letter, obtained by The Associated Press, Cummings and Smith said that Gowdy was ignoring statements by retired Army Lt. Gen. Dana Chipman, the panel GOP's chief counsel from August 2014 to January, which "repeatedly commended the military's actions on the night of the attacks during closed interviews with Defense Department officials," notably former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta. Panel Democrats have long called the committee a thinly veiled tool to harm Clinton, the probable Democratic presidential nominee. Cummings and Smith said Gowdy's narrow attacks on the Pentagon and repeated delays have now "damaged the credibility of the Select Committee beyond repair."
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Update 6:03 p.m.: Chipman and Gowdy released a joint statement to the press Monday. "I agree with Chairman Gowdy," Chipman said in the statement. "If some witnesses refer the committee to other witnesses, the responsible thing to do is interview them. The committee has an obligation to the American people to determine what can and cannot be substantiated, so if an individual makes public allegations about Benghazi, the committee should interview that person." For his part, Gowdy said that "General Chipman's contributions to the report and recommendations the committee will soon release have been invaluable."
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Peter has worked as a news and culture writer and editor at The Week since the site's launch in 2008. He covers politics, world affairs, religion and cultural currents. His journalism career began as a copy editor at a financial newswire and has included editorial positions at The New York Times Magazine, Facts on File, and Oregon State University.
-
Scottish hospitality shines at these 7 hotels
The Week Recommends Sleep well at these lovely inns across Scotland
By Catherine Garcia, The Week US Published
-
Scientists invent a solid carbon-negative building material
Under the radar Building CO2 into the buildings
By Devika Rao, The Week US Published
-
Crossword: April 1, 2025
The Week's daily crossword
By The Week Staff Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sets 25% tariffs on auto imports
Speed Read The White House says the move will increase domestic manufacturing. But the steep import taxes could also harm the US auto industry.
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump allies urge White House to admit chat blunder
Speed Read Even pro-Trump figures are criticizing The White House's handling of the Signal scandal
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Waltz takes blame for texts amid calls for Hegseth ouster
Speed Read Democrats are calling for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and national security adviser Michael Waltz to step down
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Judge: Nazis treated better than Trump deportees
speed read U.S. District Judge James Boasberg reaffirmed his order barring President Donald Trump from deporting alleged Venezuelan gang members
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
US officials share war plans with journalist in group chat
Speed Read Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg was accidentally added to a Signal conversation about striking Yemen
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published