Seth Meyers takes on Trump's one-sided Nordstrom feud, Kellyanne Conway's QVC moment
The week isn't even over yet, but President Trump has already given Seth Meyers plenty of fodder for a "Closer Look" segment on abusing presidential power.
Meyers first tackled Trump's one-sided war with Nordstrom, noting that Trump tweeted about the department store dropping his daughter Ivanka's clothing line on Wednesday morning, 20 minutes after his daily intelligence briefing started. White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer told reporters Trump was "free" at the time, but that didn't sit well with Meyers. "Why was he free when that happened?" he asked. "Did the briefing really take less than 20 minutes? I feel like the president's daily intelligence briefing should take longer than an episode of Vanderpump Rules." He also let Trump's top adviser Kellyanne Conway have it for using an appearance on Fox News to shill for Ivanka's products. "From now on, the only network Kellyanne Conway should be allowed on is QVC," Meyers said, before warning viewers that scarves from the clothing line were recalled last year for not meeting federal flammability standards.
He moved on to Trump claiming on Wednesday that the murder rate in the United States is the highest it's been in 47 years. "I used to say that in a speech, and everybody was surprised, because the press doesn't tell it like it is," Trump told reporters. "It wasn't to their advantage to say that." It's possible that was news to people because it's just not true, Meyers said; the murder rate did slightly tick up in 2015 but it is close to the 57-year low it hit in 2014. "You know, it's easy to surprise people if you just make s—t up," he added. Watch more of Meyers and his examination into Trump's use of his presidential status in the video below. Catherine Garcia
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
Rothermere’s Telegraph takeover: ‘a right-leaning media powerhouse’Talking Point Deal gives Daily Mail and General Trust more than 50% of circulation in the UK newspaper market
-
The US-Saudi relationship: too big to fail?Talking Point With the Saudis investing $1 trillion into the US, and Trump granting them ‘major non-Nato ally’ status, for now the two countries need each other
-
Sudoku medium: November 30, 2025The daily medium sudoku puzzle from The Week
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
