Report: Mueller's team is investigating Trump's apparent efforts to oust Sessions


As part of his investigation, Special Counsel Robert Mueller is examining the period of time last summer when President Trump appeared set on getting Attorney General Jeff Sessions to leave his post, several people familiar with the matter told The Washington Post.
Mueller is reportedly interested in whether this is part of a pattern of attempted obstruction of justice. Over the last few months, Mueller's investigators have been asking witnesses about Trump's state of mind in late July and early August 2017, as well as private comments he made about Sessions; they are trying to determine if Trump's goal was to oust Sessions so he could replace him with someone able to have control over the investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election and possible ties between the Trump campaign and Russian officials. Sessions has recused himself from the Russia investigation.
Trump has made his displeasure with Sessions known publicly through Twitter, and also behind closed doors; people who spoke to Trump told the Post he has called Sessions "Mr. Magoo," the bumbling old cartoon character. Trump has also reportedly said that throughout his career, he's hired the best lawyers, and now he's stuck with Sessions, who he doesn't view as very loyal. Sessions has told people close to him that Trump's words sting, but he refuses to resign. The Post also reports that earlier this month, to commemorate his first year as attorney general, senior aides gave Sessions a bulletproof vest with his name on it.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
Tuberculosis is seeing a resurgence, and it's only going to get worse
Under the radar The spread of the deadly infection is buoyed by global unrest
By Devika Rao, The Week US Published
-
Crossword: April 3, 2025
The Week's daily crossword
By The Week Staff Published
-
Sudoku medium: April 3, 2025
The Week's daily medium sudoku puzzle
By The Week Staff Published
-
Sen. Booker's 25-hour speech beats Thurmond
Speed Read He spoke for the longest time in recorded Senate history, protesting the Trump administration's policies
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Bondi seeks death penalty for Luigi Mangione
Speed Read Mangione was charged with fatally shooting UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson last year
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Democrats win costly Wisconsin court seat
Speed Read Democrats prevailed in an election for the Wisconsin Supreme Court despite Elon Musk's robust financial support of the Republican candidate
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
WHCA rejects White House press seating grab
Speed Read The White House Correspondents' Association objected to the Trump administration's bid to control where journalists sit during press briefings
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sends more migrants to El Salvador jail
Speed Read Another 17 Venezuelan alleged gang members have been deported to a notorious prison
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published