Who's going to Trump's Ramadan dinner?
Who's going to Trump's Ramadan dinner?


President Trump is hosting an iftar dinner, and American Muslims have RSVP'd with a big "no."
While Trump holds a sundown meal to break fast during Ramadan on Wednesday, many Muslims will stage a counter-protest in Washington, The Guardian reports. They'll likely tackle last year's ban on immigration from Muslim-majority countries, as well as Trump's many examples of anti-Muslim rhetoric.
Not that many Muslims got an invitation to the dinner anyway.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Former President Barack Obama's 2009 dinner included dozens of diplomats, lawmakers, academics, and activists, but White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said Tuesday only that Trump's unreleased guest list includes 30-40 people. Muslim leaders who usually attend the event told The Guardian that they heard about the dinner via press releases.
The dinner itself comes as a surprise too, seeing as Trump skipped out on iftar last year. One was held annually from 1996 until then.
Looks like the White House will have some leftovers.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Kathryn is a graduate of Syracuse University, with degrees in magazine journalism and information technology, along with hours to earn another degree after working at SU's independent paper The Daily Orange. She's currently recovering from a horse addiction while living in New York City, and likes to share her extremely dry sense of humor on Twitter.
-
DOGE put Social Security data at risk, official says
Speed Read DOGE workers made the personal information of hundreds of millions of Americans vulnerable to identity theft
-
Court rejects Trump suit against Maryland US judges
Speed Read Judge Thomas Cullen, a Trump appointee, said the executive branch had no authority to sue the judges
-
Trump expands National Guard role in policing
Speed Read The president wants the Guard to take on a larger role in domestic law enforcement
-
Trump says he's firing Federal Reserve Governor Lisa Cook
Speed Read The move is likely part of Trump's push to get the central bank to cut interest rates
-
Abrego released from jail, faces Uganda deportation
Speed Read The wrongly deported Kilmar Abrego García is expected to be detained at an ICE check-in and deported to Uganda
-
Trump arms National Guard in DC, threatens other cities
speed read His next targets are Chicago, New York and Baltimore
-
Judge: Trump's US attorney in NJ serving unlawfully
Speed Read The appointment of Trump's former personal defense lawyer, Alina Habba, as acting US attorney in New Jersey was ruled 'unlawful'
-
Third judge rejects DOJ's Epstein records request
Speed Read Judge Richard Berman was the third and final federal judge to reject DOJ petitions to unseal Epstein-related grand jury material