×
September 12, 2018

Apple has already overturned the tech world. Now, it's headed for the health industry.

In its Wednesday new product announcement, the company unveiled a new Apple Watch Series 4 that combines the functions of a FitBit with the nostalgia of Life Alert. Most of the Series 4 features simply improve upon the fitness trackers the watch was already known for — but others leave the Apple Watch poised to disrupt the entire health monitoring industry.

To start, Apple's new watch features a larger display that can fit a slew of health statistics on one screen. Series 4's tracking capabilities are all more precise thanks to the watch's improved processor, and the new device has an embedded accelerometer and gyroscope, which can determine if a wearer has fallen. If the wearer doesn't respond to an alert or move for a minute, the watch will contact emergency services. It's a little like the infamous Life Alert — though wearing a space-gray square on your wrist may be a little more fashionable than Life Alert's yellowish plastic necklace.

The Series 4 also comes with improved heart monitoring systems, which alert wearers if their heart rate drops too low or becomes irregular. The watch can even take an electrocardiogram test to check for heart issues, and then share the results with a doctor. The Series 4 unveiling already has competitors reeling:

All of the Series 4's new capabilities have FDA approval and are protected with Apple's signature encryption for data privacy. Still, no matter how hard it tries to think different, Apple's ads will never have anything on Life Alert's. Kathryn Krawczyk

1:41 p.m.

George Papadopoulos just learned a lesson in thinking before you tweet.

The former Trump campaign adviser who last year pleaded guilty to making false statements to the FBI is set to begin a 14-day prison sentence on November 26, but he's currently seeking a delay. His argument for a delay hinges on the outcome of a different case challenging the legality of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's appointment, Bloomberg reports. Mueller's investigation into the Trump campaign's actions during the 2016 election led to Papadopoulos' prosecution.

In response to this request, Mueller said in a filing Wednesday that it should be denied, reports Talking Points Memo. "The defendant received what he bargained for," Mueller's office wrote, "and holding him to it is not a hardship." Mueller's lawyers said there was no legal basis for a delay, and furthermore said Papadopoulos had backpedaled on his own acknowledgment of guilt.

Papadopoulos had gotten a lighter sentence after the judge said he demonstrated remorse for his crimes, but Mueller disputed this Wednesday by citing a series of tweets where Papadopoulos clearly said he regretted pleading guilty and called his sentencing a "case of entrapment." Mueller's office said the tweets "appear to be inconsistent with his stated acceptance of responsibility at sentencing." Papadopoulos has since deleted all of these tweets, which clearly did him no good, as they still show up in the filing with citations that read, "This tweet has since been removed from the defendant's public Twitter account." Brendan Morrow

12:30 p.m.

The White House reportedly approved a memo that will allow troops sent to the southern border to use lethal force and conduct law enforcement operations, Military Times reported Wednesday.

The military has deployed nearly 6,000 troops to help prevent migrants from crossing into the U.S. illegally. White House Chief of Staff John Kelly reportedly authorized military personnel to perform "reasonably necessary" actions to protect border agents, including "a show or use of force (including lethal force, where necessary), crowd control, temporary detention, and cursory search."

Kelly reportedly approved the memo because of what he deemed "credible evidence and intelligence" that suggests migrants "may prompt incidents of violence and disorder." A caravan of Central American migrants has been traveling toward the U.S. in recent weeks with the hopes of applying for asylum at the border.

The move could violate the Posse Comitatus Act, which generally forbids troops from operating like domestic law enforcement. The Trump administration has offered varying perspectives on how the military will handle its mission at the border. Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said last month that "every possible action is on the table" to stop the migrants, and said that there was no intention to shoot at migrants "right now." When asked about suspending or ignoring the Posse Comitatus Act, Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders declined to detail how far the military would go in confronting migrants. Read more at Military Times. Summer Meza

12:13 p.m.

Ralph is ready to break both the internet and the box office this weekend.

Ralph Breaks the Internet, Disney's animated sequel to Wreck-It Ralph, is off to a great start, taking in $3.8 million in Tuesday night previews, per The Hollywood Reporter. That's the best ever opening night for a movie that debuted during Thanksgiving week, besting Moana and Coco, which took in $2.6 million and $2.3 million respectively on the Tuesdays they first started playing. The film is currently projected to make somewhere around $70 million, which would put it below Moana's full five-day opening weekend gross of $82 million, but that number could certainly go higher. Regardless, it's set to rank as one of the best Thanksgiving week openings of all time, though Frozen's record of $93 million appears out of reach.

Were it not for Disney, it would have been Creed II that broke the Thanksgiving preview record, as the Rocky sequel also had a phenomenal Tuesday night by taking in $3.7 million, making that the second-best Thanksgiving preview night of all time. That film, which stars Michael B. Jordan and Sylvester Stallone, topped its predecessor's $1.4 million preview night and is expected to take in around $50 million.

But not every studio is having a happy holiday weekend, as Lionsgate's Robin Hood is looking to be a massive bomb. It took in $800,000 in Tuesday night previews and is projected to end up with a five-day haul in the mid-teens, Deadline reports. With the film reportedly costing around $100 million, it's set to end up being one of the worst-reviewed films of the year and also one of the biggest flops as Ralph and Rocky steal its audience away. Brendan Morrow

11:13 a.m.

One former federal prosecutor thinks President Trump's reported desire to order the Department of Justice to prosecute Hillary Clinton and former FBI Director James Comey is evidence enough to indict him.

Former federal prosecutor Gene Rossi told MSNBC Tuesday night that he could draft an indictment against Trump "right now." This, he said, would be on two counts, the first being "his relationship with Michael Cohen on the election fraud." He also said there's enough evidence to bring an obstruction of justice charge, which he pointed out Special Counsel Robert Mueller has the authority to do.

This came during a segment discussing the recent report from The New York Times that Trump wanted to order the Department of Justice to prosecute his political enemies, but former White House counsel Don McGahn had to warn him it could be an impeachable offense. Although Trump never officially made this request, Rossi suggested he could still be indicted for this, as it's an "attempt to obstruct justice" and is part of a "pattern." Rossi also said that what the Times report alleges is that Trump "essentially" asked McGahn to "commit a crime by obstructing justice."

Trump has submitted written answers to some of Mueller's questions but is still refusing to answer questions about obstruction of justice. Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani insists Mueller has no case there, telling Axios, "I think their obstruction case, as a legal matter, doesn't exist." Watch Rossi's comments on MSNBC below. Brendan Morrow

10:04 a.m.

A weed-fueled episode of the Joe Rogan Experience podcast is now responsible for the launch of an official NASA investigation.

NASA is going to review the safety practices of SpaceX next year, and The Washington Post reports that this is because of "the recent behavior" of founder Elon Musk, specifically when he smoked weed and drank whiskey on the Joe Rogan podcast in September. This, the Post reports, "rankled some at NASA's highest levels" and made them decide to "take a close look" at the company's culture.

In a statement to the Post, NASA confirmed that it would launch this probe next year to determine if SpaceX is "meeting NASA’s requirements for workplace safety, including the adherence to a drug-free environment." It will also investigate Boeing, which Musk has nothing to do with. This probe is reportedly going to last months and involve "hundreds of interviews." Rogan responded to the news on Twitter by writing, "LOL WUT."

Between this episode, Musk needing to pay a $20 million fine to the Securities and Exchange Commission and resign as Tesla chairman because of a two-sentence tweet, and Musk being sued by a diver he accused of being a pedophile, it's safe to say the Tesla CEO has seen better years. Brendan Morrow

9:06 a.m.

After President Trump seemed to let Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman off the hook for the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Congress is demanding he take further action.

Sens. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) and Bob Menendez (D-N.J.), the top-ranking Republican and Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, have ordered an investigation into whether the Saudi crown prince was involved in the plot to murder Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate last month, ABC News reports. Trump in a statement Tuesday said that "we may never know" the facts of the case and that bin Salman may or may not have been involved, despite the fact that the CIA has reportedly determined that the crown prince ordered the murder, per CNN.

Corker has been highly critical of Trump's Tuesday statement, tweeting, "I never thought I'd see the day a White House would moonlight as a public relations firm for the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia." Under the Global Magnitsky Act, the president has four months to respond after a congressional committee asks him to determine whether a human rights violation was committed, per The Washington Post. The Trump administration recently sanctioned 17 Saudis in response to a similar request, and now, Congress is demanding the administration not stop there, with Corker tweeting, "'Maybe he did and maybe he didn't' won’t cut it." Brendan Morrow

7:50 a.m.

In the face of a damning report from The New York Times, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is holding firm.

Zuckerberg told CNN in an interview Tuesday that he has no plans to step down as Facebook chairman, a move some had called for after a recent Times investigation. "That's not the plan," Zuckerberg said, adding that he's "not currently thinking that that makes sense." He also said COO Sheryl Sandberg isn't going anywhere, either, as he's "really proud of the work we've done together" and he hopes "we continue to work together for decades more to come."

This interview comes after The New York Times reported that Facebook was alerted to Russian hacking on its platform in spring 2016, long before sharing this information with the public or with its board of directors and before Zuckerberg publicly dismissed the idea that Facebook played a role in the presidential election. It also alleged that Facebook hired an opposition-research firm to downplay "the impact of the Russians' use of Facebook" and to discredit Facebook critics by linking them to billionaire financier George Soros, an effort spearheaded by Sandberg.

Zuckerberg once again denied knowing about this lobbying until he read the Times article, saying he wasn't "particularly happy about that piece of it" while offering a mild defense by saying that "the intention was never to attack an individual." Despite all of these cascading problems, Zuckerberg also said that Facebook is still "a positive force." Watch the interview below. Brendan Morrow

See More Speed Reads