Trump suggests 'rogue killers' could be to blame in journalist's disappearance
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
As Secretary of State Mike Pompeo seeks answers in the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, President Trump is already floating a possible conclusion.
Trump told reporters Monday that after speaking with Saudi King Salman over the phone, it "sounded to me like maybe these could have been rogue killers" who were involved in Khashoggi's disappearance, although he added, "Who knows?" Turkish officials told the United States last week there is evidence that a Saudi security team killed Khashoggi when he visited the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to obtain a document for his wedding, The Washington Post reports. The Saudi government has denied any knowledge of what happened to Khashoggi.
While it's unclear what Trump's theory is based on, he noted that the Saudi king's "denial to me could not have been stronger," also calling it "firm" multiple times. Trump added that he did not "want to get into [Salman's] mind" by speculating, however.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The president previously announced that Secretary of State Pompeo would be leaving for Saudi Arabia to speak with Salman, and Trump told reporters that they are going to "leave nothing uncovered" and will "try getting to the bottom of it." But based on what Trump said, it sounds like he is inclined to believe the Saudi king. Watch Trump's statement below. Brendan Morrow
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
Switzerland could vote to cap its populationUnder the Radar Swiss People’s Party proposes referendum on radical anti-immigration measure to limit residents to 10 million
-
Political cartoons for February 15Cartoons Sunday's political cartoons include political ventriloquism, Europe in the middle, and more
-
The broken water companies failing England and WalesExplainer With rising bills, deteriorating river health and a lack of investment, regulators face an uphill battle to stabilise the industry
-
Judge blocks Hegseth from punishing Kelly over videoSpeed Read Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth pushed for the senator to be demoted over a video in which he reminds military officials they should refuse illegal orders
-
Trump’s EPA kills legal basis for federal climate policySpeed Read The government’s authority to regulate several planet-warming pollutants has been repealed
-
House votes to end Trump’s Canada tariffsSpeed Read Six Republicans joined with Democrats to repeal the president’s tariffs
-
Bondi, Democrats clash over Epstein in hearingSpeed Read Attorney General Pam Bondi ignored survivors of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and demanded that Democrats apologize to Trump
-
El Paso airspace closure tied to FAA-Pentagon standoffSpeed Read The closure in the Texas border city stemmed from disagreements between the Federal Aviation Administration and Pentagon officials over drone-related tests
-
Judge blocks Trump suit for Michigan voter rollsSpeed Read A Trump-appointed federal judge rejected the administration’s demand for voters’ personal data
-
US to send 200 troops to Nigeria to train armySpeed Read Trump has accused the West African government of failing to protect Christians from terrorist attacks
-
Grand jury rejects charging 6 Democrats for ‘orders’ videoSpeed Read The jury refused to indict Democratic lawmakers for a video in which they urged military members to resist illegal orders
