MSNBC's Joe Scarborough wants Democrats to repeat 'I will not attack Barack Obama' before bed each night
MSNBC's Joe Scarborough is continuing to hammer Democrats for criticizing former President Barack Obama's policies during this week's presidential debates, and now, he's got a new nightly ritual to suggest.
Numerous Obama policies, including the Affordable Care Act, came under fire during the debates, and Scarborough previously slammed 2020 Democrats for seemingly spending more time attacking the popular former president than President Trump himself.
On Friday's Morning Joe, Scarborough continued to drive this point home, going after the 2020 candidates who are arguing over "what Barack Obama did wrong" when Trump is doing things that are "straight out of a fascist playbook."
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
"They need to wake up," Scarborough said. "...I will say it to Democratic candidates again: Focus on Donald Trump! Repeat after me: 'I will not attack Barack Obama. I will focus on Donald Trump and the dangers his presidency brings.'"
Scarborough feels so strongly about this message that he suggested Democrats "read it slowly five times before you go to bed every night," joking he may even put together a mindfulness tape with "the sound of babbling brooks in the background" for them. For now, though, Scarborough concluded that these Democrats targeting Obama are "letting the country down."
The unexpected heat Obama took during the debate has been subject to plenty of discussion, and although Obama has remained on the sidelines of the 2020 Democratic presidential primary, CNN reported on Thursday that he and his allies "question the wisdom in assailing the record of a popular ex-president." Brendan Morrow
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
5 critical cartoons about the proposed Russia-Ukraine peace dealCartoons Artists take on talking turkey, Putin's puppet, and more
-
Could Trump run for a third term?The Explainer Constitutional amendment limits US presidents to two terms, but Trump diehards claim there is a loophole
-
Political cartoons for November 28Cartoons Friday's political cartoons include economic diagnosis, climate distractions, and more
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
