Humiliated Weiner admits to Twitter sex pics
US congressman, renowned for his use of social media, caught sending ‘bulge’ shot to female followers

From America, a lesson in the perils of social networking, where Democrat congressman Anthony Weiner has been forced to issue a groveling apology to his wife at a press conference where he admitted sending explicit pictures of himself to women on Twitter and Facebook and having phone sex with strangers. The 46-year-old, who was tipped to run for mayor of New York in 2013, is refusing to resign over the scandal, insisting that he has not broken any rules. But he has been made a laughing stock after the photos he sent to various women - including the now infamous 'bulge' picture of his Y-fronts (above) - were published online. To make it all the more embarrassing, Weiner, who represents Queens and Brooklyn in Congress, is renowned for being tech-savvy. As US website Politico put it: "Weiner, more than almost any other lawmaker, understood how to exploit social media." However, he made a fundamental error at the end of last month when he sent the aforementioned bulge-shot to a woman on Twitter, forgetting to make it private and instead posting it for the world to see. The picture had apparently been intended for Seattle student Gennette Cordova but soon found its way onto a website run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. When the story broke, Weiner responded by claiming his account had been hacked, but at yesterday’s humiliating press conference in Manhattan, with his nemesis Breitbart in attendance, he admitted: "To be clear, the picture was of me and I sent it." He also told the assembled media: "Over the past few years I have engaged in several inappropriate conversations conducted over Twitter, Facebook, email and occasionally on the phone with women I had met online." That appears to have been confirmed by other women who have come forward. Among them are 26-year-old Meagan Broussard who was sent the 'bulge' picture on May 18, and Las Vegas blackjack dealer Lisa Weiss who claims she had phone sex with the politician. During the press conference Weiner broke down as he apologised to his wife, Huma Abedin, a senior aide to Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, but refused to resign, saying: "I don't believe I did anything here that violates any law or violates my oath to my constituents," he said.
However, Nancy Pelosi the leader of the Democrats in Congress has announced an investigation and Weiner is said to face an uncertain future.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
-
Quiz of The Week: 23 – 29 August
Quiz Have you been paying attention to The Week's news?
-
The Week Unwrapped: Could robotic dogs help clear landmines?
Podcast Plus, what can we learn from a new approach to urban renewal? And how much power rests with political spouses?
-
Six major costs to cut as children go back to school
School supplies can be pricey but there are ways to keep costs down
-
Gavin Newsom's Trump-style trolling roils critics while thrilling fans
TALKING POINTS The California governor has turned his X account into a cutting parody of Trump's digital cadence, angering Fox News conservatives
-
What difference will the 'historic' UK-Germany treaty make?
Today's Big Question Europe's two biggest economies sign first treaty since WWII, underscoring 'triangle alliance' with France amid growing Russian threat and US distance
-
Is the G7 still relevant?
Talking Point Donald Trump's early departure cast a shadow over this week's meeting of the world's major democracies
-
Angela Rayner: Labour's next leader?
Today's Big Question A leaked memo has sparked speculation that the deputy PM is positioning herself as the left-of-centre alternative to Keir Starmer
-
Is Starmer's plan to send migrants overseas Rwanda 2.0?
Today's Big Question Failed asylum seekers could be removed to Balkan nations under new government plans
-
Is Elon Musk's DOGE job coming to an end?
TODAY'S BIG QUESTION Plummeting popularity, a stinging electoral defeat and Tesla's shrinking market share could be pulling the tech billionaire out of Trump's presidential orbit
-
Has Starmer put Britain back on the world stage?
Talking Point UK takes leading role in Europe on Ukraine and Starmer praised as credible 'bridge' with the US under Trump
-
Left on read: Labour's WhatsApp dilemma
Talking Point Andrew Gwynne has been sacked as health minister over messages posted in a Labour WhatsApp group