Someone's drawing dollar signs. The "dizzying" success of the doodling app Draw Something was underscored Wednesday when news broke that gaming titan Zynga was purchasing the company behind the app, New York-based OMGPOP, for over $200 million. The Pictionary-like game currently tops Apple's "top paid" and "top free" lists in the App Store, and also holds the number one Android app slot in Google Play. "Zynga is a Facebook games powerhouse, and has been steadily acquiring smaller companies with hits on their hands," says Peter Kafka at All Things D. But this is the Farmville creator's most expensive acquisition to date. Does Draw Something's meteoric rise justify the price? Here's a look at the numbers:
Daily active Draw Something users
Total downloads of the app
Total drawings users have created since the game was released seven weeks ago
Total drawings created in the last week alone
Drawings created every second
Countries where Draw Something is the #1 app, according to the Apple App Store
Venture capital 6-year-old OMGPOP managed to raise before the acquisition
Estimated total price Zynga is paying for OMGPOP. According to Peter Kafka at All Things D, Zynga paid $180 million up front, plus roughly $30 million for employee-retention.
Members of the OMGPOP team that will now be Zynga employees
Total price Zynga paid for Newtoy, the company behind Words With Friends, in 2010
Net profit Draw Something earns OMGPOP per day after Apple takes its 30 percent cut
Titles Zynga will be acquiring from OMGPOP, including virtual pet game Puppy World and puzzle-based Boom Friends
Estimated value of Zynga when the company priced its initial public offering in December 2011
Years it took for AOL to hit 1 million users
Months it took for Facebook to reach 1 million users
Days it took for Draw Something to reach 1 million users
Offer Angry Birds creator Rovio reportedly turned down from Zynga
Amount OMGPOP could be leaving on the table for selling too early, says Henry Blodget at Business Insider. "Zynga got a steal."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- The psychology of video game addiction
Subscribe to the Week