- Conspiracy theories April 21
There's a new type of Clinton "truther" out there — no, not the "shoe truthers" — and this one thinks that Chelsea Clinton's pregnancy is an elaborate ploy to turn Hillary Clinton into America's Favorite Grandmother, which in turn will cause everyone to vote for her if she chooses to run for president in 2016.
Steve Malzberg, the host of an online show for Newsmax TV, is just one of several talking heads who see this as the Benghazi of baby announcements. "Pardon the skeptic in me, but what great timing!" Malzberg said on his Friday show. "I mean, purely accidental, purely an act of nature, purely just left up to God. And God answered Hillary Clinton's prayers and she is going to have the prop of being a new grandma while she runs for president. It just warms the heart. It brings a tear to my eye."
Newsmax executive editor Ken Chandler was quick to distance the company from Malzberg, telling Mediaite: "Steve Malzberg's comments were intended to be humorous not hurtful. They were clearly inappropriate and do not reflect the views of Newsmax." Duly noted.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
Subscribe to the Week