- Conspiracy theories April 21
There's a new type of Clinton "truther" out there — no, not the "shoe truthers" — and this one thinks that Chelsea Clinton's pregnancy is an elaborate ploy to turn Hillary Clinton into America's Favorite Grandmother, which in turn will cause everyone to vote for her if she chooses to run for president in 2016.
Steve Malzberg, the host of an online show for Newsmax TV, is just one of several talking heads who see this as the Benghazi of baby announcements. "Pardon the skeptic in me, but what great timing!" Malzberg said on his Friday show. "I mean, purely accidental, purely an act of nature, purely just left up to God. And God answered Hillary Clinton's prayers and she is going to have the prop of being a new grandma while she runs for president. It just warms the heart. It brings a tear to my eye."
Newsmax executive editor Ken Chandler was quick to distance the company from Malzberg, telling Mediaite: "Steve Malzberg's comments were intended to be humorous not hurtful. They were clearly inappropriate and do not reflect the views of Newsmax." Duly noted.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 19, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- Adrian Peterson and our misguided debate about spanking
Subscribe to the Week