- What? April 27
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) was once, as her party's vice presidential nominee, close to being a heartbeat away from the presidency. And over the weekend, she gave a little glimpse of what a Palin presidency would look like.
Speaking at a National Rifle Association rally Saturday, Palin talked of how she would "put the fear of God in our enemies" as president by ensuring everyone knew that "waterboarding is how we baptize terrorists."
The United Nations, the ACLU, and just about every other authority on the matter considers waterboarding to be a form of torture. That said, Palin is unlikely to ever run for president, so her proposed national security policy should remain nothing more than a rhetorical flourish.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
Subscribe to the Week