Arika Okrent is editor-at-large at TheWeek.com and a frequent contributor to Mental Floss. She is the author of In the Land of Invented Languages, a history of the attempt to build a better language. She holds a doctorate in linguistics and a first-level certification in Klingon. Follow her on Twitter.
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
Subscribe to the Week