FOLLOW THE WEEK ON FACEBOOK
March 17, 2014
Getty Images

Late Sunday, off the coast of Cyprus, a team of U.S. Navy SEALs captured the hijacked oil tanker Morning Glory from Libyan rebels. "No one was hurt tonight when U.S. forces, at the request of both the Libyan and Cypriot governments, boarded and took control of the commercial tanker Morning Glory, a stateless vessel seized earlier this month by three armed Libyans," said Pentagon spokesman Rear Adm. John Kirby. President Obama authorized the raid just after 10 p.m. on Sunday.

U.S. forces will escort the ship back to a port controlled by Libya's central government, which is fighting various factions for possession of the country's vast oil reserves.

The story of the Morning Glory is complicated and slightly madcap, but with serious implications for Libya and Europe, which gets oil from the country via a pipeline to Italy. On March 1, the North Korea-flagged ship turned off its satellite transponder and a week later turned up in the eastern Libyan port of Es Sider, which is controlled by a rebel militia that is trying to sell oil from the region for its own profit. On March 10, the tanker left port carrying 234,000 barrels of oil.

If breakaway regions are allowed to sell oil on their own, the Libyan government will quickly go bankrupt. Prime Minister Ali Zeidan ordered the Morning Glory stopped, even if it meant sinking the vessel. With Libya's navy essentially nonexistent and its air force embroiled in its own infighting, the militia Zeidan sent out to stop the tanker failed. Parliament then sacked Zeidan, who subsequently fled to Germany. On March 13, North Korea revoked the Morning Glory's registration, making it a stateless vessel.

Contraband oil is harder to sell than you might think. Libya could still descend into civil war, as various militias battle for resources and influence. But now at least the rebels in the oil-rich east know the risks of trying to use a heavily watched and coveted international commodity as a weapon. Peter Weber

1:41 a.m. ET

The premise of James Corden's carpool karaoke ride with Elton John, released online Sunday night, is that he needs somebody to help him drive to work in the Los Angeles rain, because L.A. drivers are a mess when there's any precipitation. So naturally, once John was in the car, Corden drove with his hands off the wheel, belting out Elton John's greatest hits, sometimes dressed up in silly costumes. But he did get John to talk about what it's like to be Elton John, including not having a cellphone (though he does have an iPad).

John and Corden started out with "Your Song," which John and Bernie Taupin wrote in 1970. After John put music to Taupin's lyrics, he told Corden, "we both realized that this was a huge step forward in our songwriting. We never looked back from that song." Corden noted that John has had "some amazing looks over the years," and John said that he dressed up in part because he was told he's not a very good dancer. Also, "I was never a lead vocalist, not like Bowie or Jagger — I was stuck at a piano," he said. "And I wasn't, you know, a sex symbol, and so I had fun with my outfits. And I just went for it." And he's not done. John told Corden that when he hears a young artist that inspires him, he vows to push on. Which he can do, because he has the energy of a 20-year-old, the 68-year-old John said. "Once you stop, you die." Watch the singing and talking below. Peter Weber

1:23 a.m. ET
Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

A visibly upset Cam Newton abruptly left a press conference following the Carolina Panthers' 24-10 loss to the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 50 on Sunday, telling reporters: "I'm done, man."

ESPN has the transcript from his post-game remarks, and the quarterback kept it brief, answering just a few questions with terse responses. When asked if he had a message for fans of the Panthers, he simply said, "We'll be back," and said his team lost because they "got outplayed" (when pressed, he repeated: "Got outplayed, bro"). Newton did elaborate a bit after saying the Broncos "just played better than us," explaining: "We dropped balls, we turned the ball over, gave up sacks, threw errant passes. That's it. They scored more points than us." After that, he got up, shook his head, and announced: "I'm done, man." Catherine Garcia

1:01 a.m. ET
Scott Olson/Getty Images

On Friday, Chicago Police Officer Robert Rialmo filed a $10 million lawsuit against the estate of Quintonio LeGrier, a 19-year-old black college student he shot dead on Dec. 26, 2015, along with innocent bystander Bettie Jones, 55. In his suit, a counterclaim against a wrongful-death suit filed by LeGrier's estate, Rialmo claims that LeGrier charged at him with a baseball bat. "There is no question that [Rialmo] suffered very extreme emotional trauma and stress as a result of what Quintonio LeGrier did," says Rialmo's lawyer, Joel A. Brodsky. LeGrier "forced him to shoot," Brodsky said, adding that Rialmo "feels extremely horrible" about killing Jones.

Basileios J. Fourtris, a lawyer for LeGrier's family, said Rialmo's version of events was "pure fantasy." He noted that LeGrier called 911 three times, and was hung up on, before Rialmo arrived, asking, "Why would a kid that called three times asking for police help ever swing a bat at a cop?" "It's a new low for the Chicago Police Department," Foutris added, according to The New York Times. "First you shoot them, then you sue them. It's outrageous." Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said Rialmo's legal action is "not a department lawsuit," and Adam Collins, a spokesman for Mayor Rahm Emanuel, told The Times that "the city does not support" Rialmo's counterclaim "and is not involved in any way." Peter Weber

12:47 a.m. ET
Sam Yeh/AFP/Getty Images

On Monday, rescuers in Tainan, Taiwan, pulled two people out alive from the rubble of a 17-story apartment building that collapsed two days ago following a 6.4-magnitude earthquake.

More than 170 people have been rescued from the building, and 100 are thought to still be buried. Taiwan's Eastern Broadcasting Corp. reports that rescuers heard Tsao Wei-ling cry out "Here I am," and discovered her under the body of her husband. They also found a man in the sixth floor section of the building, and signs of life from a 28-year-old woman and 8-year-old girl trapped in the fifth floor, The Associated Press reports.

The death toll from the quake stands at 36, with 34 dying in the Tainan building. The apartment building was constructed in 1989, and investigators are now looking into whether the developer cut corners, AP says. Catherine Garcia

February 7, 2016

Helen Mirren delivered a very important message during Super Bowl 50: Don't drink and drive. In a spot for Budweiser, Mirren said that as a "notoriously frank and uncensored British lady," she wasn't afraid to say that if you drive drunk, you're "utterly useless" and a "selfish coward." "If your brain was donated to science," she continued. "Science would return it." Watch the sobering video below. Catherine Garcia

February 7, 2016
Al Bello/Getty Images

The Denver Broncos won a turnover-filled Super Bowl 50 Sunday night at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California, defeating the Carolina Panthers 24-10.

This is quarterback Peyton Manning's second Super Bowl win. During the first quarter, Brandon McManus of the Broncos made an early field goal, and Malik Jackson followed up with a touchdown. In the second quarter, Jonathan Stewart scored a touchdown for the Panthers, followed by another McManus field goal. McManus had his third field goal of the game during the third quarter, bringing the score to 16-7, but the Panthers earned three points in the fourth quarter after a field goal from Graham Gano. Late in the fourth quarter, C.J. Anderson scored a touchdown for the Broncos. Catherine Garcia

February 7, 2016

Two very different Doritos ads aired during Super Bowl 50 — one featuring feisty dogs just trying to get their paws on some chips, the other a Dorito-loving fetus being taunted by its father.

Both videos were finalists in the brand's Crash the Super Bowl contest. Over the past nine years, Doritos has given fans the opportunity to create 30-second videos, with the winning one airing during the big game. Doritos says thousands of videos have been submitted since the contest started, and now, in its final year, the winner will receive $1,000,000. That could pay for a whole lot of Doritos. Catherine Garcia

See More Speed Reads