Man rescued after 60 hours under rubble of landslide in China
Migrant worker in a stable condition following the ordeal as locals blame government officials

A teenager has been rescued from a landslide after spending 60 hours under the rubble in Shenzhen, China.
Tian Zeming was buried when a huge mound of construction debris and earth collapsed on Sunday, covering more than 30 buildings.
Zeming, a 19-year-old migrant worker from Sichuan province, was found at about 3.30am on Wednesday, according to Xinhua, China's official news agency.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Just over three hours later, reports the Guardian, rescue workers in orange and red uniforms managed to hoist him from the scene of the disaster on the outskirts of Shenzhen, a sprawling factory hub in Guangdong province.
Xinhua said Tian, who is from the city of Chongqing, had suffered multiple fractures but was in a stable condition after 67 hours buried in the rubble.
Al Jazeera's Adrian Brown said the rescue of Tian Zeming had raised the morale of the thousands-strong team of rescuers, but questions needed to be asked of the Chinese government.
"Big questions are being asked here about how this was allowed to happen," he said.
"We are seeing a familiar theme here: lax government regulations. We know that the pile of waste had grown to be about 100m high ... and that, according to one local report, the government had warned about an accident like this happening."
Locals appear to be blaming the government for not doing more to stop the accident from occurring.
"They were dumping dirt here day and night," one man, who gave his name only as Zhang, told the New York Times. "We complained, but the government turned a blind eye."
Rescuers are still searching for more than 70 people in the Shenzhen area.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
-
'Like a sound from hell': Serbia and sonic weapons
The Explainer Half a million people sign petition alleging Serbian police used an illegal 'sound cannon' to disrupt anti-government protests
By Abby Wilson Published
-
The arrest of the Philippines' former president leaves the country's drug war in disarray
In the Spotlight Rodrigo Duterte was arrested by the ICC earlier this month
By Justin Klawans, The Week US Published
-
Ukrainian election: who could replace Zelenskyy?
The Explainer Donald Trump's 'dictator' jibe raises pressure on Ukraine to the polls while the country is under martial law
By Sorcha Bradley, The Week UK Published
-
Why Serbian protesters set off smoke bombs in parliament
THE EXPLAINER Ongoing anti-corruption protests erupted into full view this week as Serbian protesters threw the country's legislature into chaos
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Who is the Hat Man? 'Shadow people' and sleep paralysis
In Depth 'Sleep demons' have plagued our dreams throughout the centuries, but the explanation could be medical
By The Week Staff Published
-
Why Assad fell so fast
The Explainer The newly liberated Syria is in an incredibly precarious position, but it's too soon to succumb to defeatist gloom
By The Week UK Published
-
Romania's election rerun
The Explainer Shock result of presidential election has been annulled following allegations of Russian interference
By Sorcha Bradley, The Week UK Published
-
Russia's shadow war in Europe
Talking Point Steering clear of open conflict, Moscow is slowly ratcheting up the pressure on Nato rivals to see what it can get away with.
By The Week UK Published