France prepares for chemical attack on football fans at Euro 2016
Police on high alert after Brussels terrorist said tournament had been identified as a prime target
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
French authorities are preparing for a range of terrorist attacks amid fears that Euro 2016 could be targeted by extremists.
Police and rescue services have been staging a series of exercises to simulate attacks at stadiums and fan zones ahead of the football tournament, which begins in June. These include preparations for a nerve gas attack, as well as a gun attack, suicide bombing and hostage situation.
Rescue workers wearing gas masks and protective suits tended to actors posing as victims at the first such exercise last month in Nimes, in the south of the country, reports The Times.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
"A similar exercise was held last week at Geoffroy-Guichard stadium in St Etienne, where England will play Slovakia in their third match of the group stage," adds the newspaper.
Interior minister Bernard Cazeneuve told AFP the exercises would help "ensure that this great sporting festival takes place in conditions of maximum security".
France remains in a state of emergency after the November terrorist attacks in Paris which killed 130 people. Another 32 people died in the attacks in neighbouring Belgium last month.
They are believed to have been carried out by the same terrorist cell and one of the Brussels attackers arrested last week has told police they had initially planned to strike France.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Mohamed Abrini, who failed to detonate his bomb at the airport, said his terrorist cell had identified the football championships as a prime target, according to French newspaper Liberation.
Despite fears, French authorities have insisted that the tournament will go ahead.
"The strongest answer to terrorists, in addition to the deployment of all intelligence and security measures, is life," said Prime Minister Manuel Valls. "The Euro should be held, and will be held."
-
5 calamitous cartoons about the Washington Post layoffsCartoons Artists take on a new chapter in journalism, democracy in darkness, and more
-
Political cartoons for February 14Cartoons Saturday's political cartoons include a Valentine's grift, Hillary on the hook, and more
-
Tourangelle-style pork with prunes recipeThe Week Recommends This traditional, rustic dish is a French classic
-
Epstein files topple law CEO, roil UK governmentSpeed Read Peter Mandelson, Britain’s former ambassador to the US, is caught up in the scandal
-
Iran and US prepare to meet after skirmishesSpeed Read The incident comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East
-
Israel retrieves final hostage’s body from GazaSpeed Read The 24-year-old police officer was killed during the initial Hamas attack
-
China’s Xi targets top general in growing purgeSpeed Read Zhang Youxia is being investigated over ‘grave violations’ of the law
-
Panama and Canada are negotiating over a crucial copper mineIn the Spotlight Panama is set to make a final decision on the mine this summer
-
Why Greenland’s natural resources are nearly impossible to mineThe Explainer The country’s natural landscape makes the task extremely difficult
-
Iran cuts internet as protests escalateSpeed Reada Government buildings across the country have been set on fire
-
US nabs ‘shadow’ tanker claimed by RussiaSpeed Read The ship was one of two vessels seized by the US military