Roman Polanski says #MeToo movement is ‘mass hysteria’
Film director and convicted child rapist threatens to sue Movie Academy over ‘illegal’ expulsion
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
French-Polish film director Roman Polanski dismissed the #MeToo movement as “mass hysteria” in an interview shortly before he was expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, it has emerged.
The Academy, which organises the Oscars, kicked out the 84-year-old movie maker last week, along with comedian Bill Cosby, “in accordance with the organisation’s Standards of Conduct” in light of sexual assault cases against both men.
Polanski is now threatening to sue over the decision. His lawyer, Harland Braun, has sent a letter to Academy president John Bailey arguing that the group violated the law by expelling Polanski without giving him a chance to “present his side”.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The threat comes days after Polanski gave his views on the #MeToo movement, in which victims are speaking out about sexual assault allegations in the movie industry and beyond, during an interview with the Polish edition of Newsweek.
Polanski said: “I think this is the kind of mass hysteria that occurs in society from time to time.
“Sometimes it’s very dramatic, like the French Revolution or the St Bartholomew’s Day massacre in France, or sometimes it’s less bloody, like 1968 in Poland or McCarthyism in the US.
“Everyone is trying to back this movement, mainly out of fear... I think it’s total hypocrisy.”
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Polanski, who currently lives in France, is wanted in the US for the 1977 rape of Samantha Geimer, who was 13 at the time. Geimer has said that she has forgiven Polanski, reports The Daily Telegraph, and has criticised the Academy’s decision to expel him as “an ugly and cruel action which serves only appearance”.
Polanski has long claimed that the sex between him and Geimer was consensual, despite pleading guilty in 1978 to unlawful sex with a minor.
A member of his legal team said that comparing Polanski’s crimes to those of Cosby was “a total misunderstanding and harassment”.
-
Political cartoons for February 15Cartoons Sunday's political cartoons include political ventriloquism, Europe in the middle, and more
-
The broken water companies failing England and WalesExplainer With rising bills, deteriorating river health and a lack of investment, regulators face an uphill battle to stabilise the industry
-
A thrilling foodie city in northern JapanThe Week Recommends The food scene here is ‘unspoilt’ and ‘fun’
-
Epstein files topple law CEO, roil UK governmentSpeed Read Peter Mandelson, Britain’s former ambassador to the US, is caught up in the scandal
-
Iran and US prepare to meet after skirmishesSpeed Read The incident comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East
-
Israel retrieves final hostage’s body from GazaSpeed Read The 24-year-old police officer was killed during the initial Hamas attack
-
China’s Xi targets top general in growing purgeSpeed Read Zhang Youxia is being investigated over ‘grave violations’ of the law
-
Panama and Canada are negotiating over a crucial copper mineIn the Spotlight Panama is set to make a final decision on the mine this summer
-
Why Greenland’s natural resources are nearly impossible to mineThe Explainer The country’s natural landscape makes the task extremely difficult
-
Iran cuts internet as protests escalateSpeed Reada Government buildings across the country have been set on fire
-
US nabs ‘shadow’ tanker claimed by RussiaSpeed Read The ship was one of two vessels seized by the US military