‘Bumbling’ New Zealand jihadi captured in Syria

Mark Taylor, who went viral for accidentally revealing militants’ location, says collapse of caliphate left him ‘in a pickle’

Mark Taylor
(Image credit: Facebook)

An Islamic State fighter from New Zealand nicknamed the “bumbling jihadist” says he has surrendered to Kurdish forces in Syria after the collapse of the caliphate left him in a “pickle”.

Speaking to the ABC from a prison in northern Syria, Mark Taylor - who also goes by the name Mohammad Daniel and Abu Abdul Rahman - said he had fled the terror group in December last year, when the situation for the remaining holdouts become intolerable.

“There was no food, no money, basic services were pretty much collapsed. I was in a pickle myself and had to make a final decision, which was to leave,” he said.

Subscribe to The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.


Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up

The 34-year-old former New Zealand Defence Force soldier travelled to Syria to join Islamic State (IS) in June 2014, but insists he only worked as a border guard and an English teacher, and did not take part in any attacks.

“There's a difference between fighting and guarding. Guarding you don't need to plan anything; attacking you need to make preparations,” he told the ABC.

Elsewhere, in the interview, Taylor describes witnessing public executions in Raqqa and complains about the high cost of purchasing a captured Yazidi woman as a sex slave.

“I would go to the masjid [mosque] and someone would say, 'I bought a slave for five or ten thousand dollars', and I thought I'd like to have that kind of money myself, but I never had the chance, so I stuck to being married to a Syrian lady,” he said.

Taylor became notorious in October 2015, when he sent a series of IS propaganda tweets without switching off Twitter’s geotagging function, inadvertently revealing the militants’ precise location. He said he spent 50 days in an IS prison for the blunder.

In another widely reported incident, Taylor “declared he was on jihad, burned his passport and posted the charred remains on Facebook” in a 2014 propaganda video, before admitting that he had applied for a new one just three months later, the Daily Mail reported at the time.

Now hoping to return to New Zealand, Taylor “had an apology, of sorts, for his home country”, says the ABC.

“I’m sorry for causing too much trouble and being a bit hot-headed and flamboyant in my approach,” he said, acknowledging that he faced “a couple of years in prison” if granted permission to return.

New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern said the country “has an obligation not to make people stateless”, although she could not discuss the specifics of whether and in what circumstances Taylor could return to New Zealand.

Continue reading for free

We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.

Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.