The daily gossip: Anthony Anderson graduates from Howard University, Elizabeth Olsen gets 'a little feisty' when people slam Marvel movies, and more
Today's top entertainment and celebrity news
Anthony Anderson graduates from Howard University
Congratulations are in order for Anthony Anderson. The 51-year-old Black-ish star says he has finally graduated from Howard University after his son "[inspired] me to return to school to finish my degree." Anderson previously explained he dropped out of Howard after his junior year because he "ran out of money." It's safe to say that's no longer an issue, so when his son started at Howard in 2018, Anderson vowed he would go back and get his degree. Four years later, the actor has officially received a BFA from the Chadwick A. Boseman College of Fine Arts. "Words can't begin to describe the emotional roller coaster I'm on right now," Anderson wrote on Instagram. "It's literally been 30 years in the making. … It's never too late!" He also showed off a photo of his diploma — on which his name is written as Anthony 'Muthaf--kin' Anderson because "Howard University knows me so well."
Elizabeth Olsen gets 'a little feisty' when people slam Marvel movies
A Marvel movie is number one at the box office again, so you know what that means: more "are Marvel movies cinema" discourse! Speaking with The Independent, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness star Elizabeth Olsen expressed frustration over people making Marvel movies "seem like a lesser type of art." While the Scarlet Witch actress acknowledged there's a "different kind of performance that's happening" in Marvel films, she said she gets "a little feisty" about people throwing MCU movies "under the bus" because this "takes away from the hundreds of very talented crew people" who work on them. "These are some of the most amazing set designers, costume designers, camera operators — I feel diminishing them with that kind of criticism takes away from all the people who do award-winning films, that also work on these projects," she said. Perhaps somewhere in the multiverse is a world where Martin Scorsese's Marvel opinions didn't spark literal years of hot takes, but alas, it's not this one.
Ncuti Gatwa is the next Doctor on 'Doctor Who'
Still not ginger. Ncuti Gatwa has been cast as the next Doctor on Doctor Who, the BBC announced Sunday. The 29-year-old is best known for playing Eric Effiong on Netflix's Sex Education. "There aren't quite the words to describe how I'm feeling," he said. "A mix of deeply honoured, beyond excited and of course a little bit scared." For non-Whovians, Doctor Who's main character is a time-traveling alien who can "regenerate" into a new body every so often, an extremely convenient plot device allowing the show to swap out its lead actor after a few seasons. Gatwa is succeeding Jodie Whittaker, the first female Doctor, who will sign off later this year. He'll also become the first Black man to play the Doctor, though Jo Martin holds the distinction of being the first Black incarnation of the Doctor. All in all, it was a pretty big weekend for fictional doctors.
Fred Savage fired from 'The Wonder Years' reboot
Fred Savage is standing up and walking out on the Wonder Years reboot — or, more accurately, being escorted out. The actor has been fired from his role as producer and director for ABC's The Wonder Years. The studio, 20th Television, said the decision came after an investigation into "allegations of inappropriate conduct" by Savage, who starred in the original The Wonder Years. The allegations weren't detailed, but Deadline reports they "included verbal outbursts and inappropriate behavior." Savage was previously sued for allegedly attacking and harassing a woman on the set of the Fox show The Grinder in 2015. He denied those allegations, calling them "absolutely untrue." The Wonder Years star Alley Mills also said in 2018 the original series was canceled after a "completely ridiculous sexual harassment suit" was brought against Savage.
Director of 'Dirty Dancing' sequel promises 'we will not ruin your childhood'
Nobody puts Baby in a corner again. A sequel to the 1987 film Dirty Dancing is in the works and set to be released in 2024. Jonathan Levine, director of Seth Rogen comedies like Long Shot and The Night Before, is directing and co-writing the film. "To the longtime [fans], I promise we will not ruin your childhood," Levine said. "We will tackle the assignment with sophistication, ambition, and, above all, love." Dirty Dancing already received a prequel in 2004 called Havana Nights, though it seems we've all agreed to just forget that ever happened. For this sequel, Jennifer Grey is returning as Frances "Baby" Houseman. Original star Patrick Swayze, of course, died in 2009 — though that might not preclude his involvement, as Variety reports "the filmmakers are in conversations with Swayze's estate to incorporate the actor's presence in some way." What could go wrong?