Anonymous threatens China over Hong Kong protests
Hacktivists say they will wage war on China for its 'inhumane actions' by leaking thousands of sensitive documents
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
The online activist group Anonymous has warned China that it is about to launch a large-scale attack on its government websites in support of the pro-democracy campaign in Hong Kong.
It says the attack, coordinated under the banner 'Operation Hong Kong' and expected to begin tomorrow, will involve leaking tens of thousands of sensitive documents and will lead to a blackout across all government sites.
China's Ministry of Public Security, the Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Justice and Hong Kong police are among its many targets, according to Reuters.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
"China, you cannot stop us. You should have expected us before abusing your power against the citizens of Hong Kong," the group said in a statement.
"Here's your heads up, prepare for us, try to stop it, the only success you will have will be taking all your sites offline."
The so-called Umbrella Revolution in Hong Kong began last month when tens of thousands of students and activists took to the streets to demand democratic elections in the former British colony.
Earlier this month Anonymous issued a statement promising to help demonstrators.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
The group has previously used cyber attacks to campaign for civil liberties and says it had "heard [the protesters'] plea for help".
Previous targets of the group's attacks include the Zimbabwean government, Visa and Interpol.
"You are not alone in this fight," the group said to protesters in Hong Kong. "Anonymous members all over the world stand with you and will help in your fight for democracy."
Activists said they were watching police closely and had already begun to "wage war" on China for "inhumane actions" against its citizens.
Beijing responded by saying: "This kind of internet attack violates the law and social morals, and we have already reported it to the police."
-
Political cartoons for February 19Cartoons Thursday’s political cartoons include a suspicious package, a piece of the cake, and more
-
The Gallivant: style and charm steps from Camber SandsThe Week Recommends Nestled behind the dunes, this luxury hotel is a great place to hunker down and get cosy
-
The President’s Cake: ‘sweet tragedy’ about a little girl on a baking mission in IraqThe Week Recommends Charming debut from Hasan Hadi is filled with ‘vivid characters’
-
Epstein files topple law CEO, roil UK governmentSpeed Read Peter Mandelson, Britain’s former ambassador to the US, is caught up in the scandal
-
Iran and US prepare to meet after skirmishesSpeed Read The incident comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East
-
Israel retrieves final hostage’s body from GazaSpeed Read The 24-year-old police officer was killed during the initial Hamas attack
-
China’s Xi targets top general in growing purgeSpeed Read Zhang Youxia is being investigated over ‘grave violations’ of the law
-
Panama and Canada are negotiating over a crucial copper mineIn the Spotlight Panama is set to make a final decision on the mine this summer
-
Why Greenland’s natural resources are nearly impossible to mineThe Explainer The country’s natural landscape makes the task extremely difficult
-
Iran cuts internet as protests escalateSpeed Reada Government buildings across the country have been set on fire
-
US nabs ‘shadow’ tanker claimed by RussiaSpeed Read The ship was one of two vessels seized by the US military