Police foil Islamic State plot to attack Israel football match
Kosovo police discover explosives and a drone thought to be for use in Paris-style massacre
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Police in Kosovo say they have thwarted three terrorist attacks by Islamic State, including a plan to set off explosives during the World Cup qualifier match played between Israel and Albania last Saturday.
Nineteen people were detained on 4 November when officers raided the homes of suspected terrorists and found explosive devices, weapons and electronic equipment.
They also discovered "religious material and literature from well-known authors recognised for their extremist ideology", according to the Kosovo police.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Albania and Macedonia have confirmed that a further six people were arrested in connection with the failed attack.
Officials believe that the plan was to set off explosives in the stadium while other members of the cells carried out simultaneous attacks in Kosovo, "similar to those that took place in France in November 2015", Albanian news website Albeu Sport reports.
Police raiding the homes of the suspects apparently discovered 281g of TATP, a highly explosive powder used in many terror attacks, and a drone, which they believe could have been used to transport deadly explosives during the game.
Saturday's match, which ended in a 3-0 victory for Israel, was moved from the northern Albanian city of Shkoder, near the Montenegrin border, to a stadium 85 miles away, in Elbasar.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
At the time, authorities said only that the location of the match had been changed for "security reasons".
Newsweek says the terror suspects were in contact with IS figure Lavdrim Muhaxheri, the self-declared "commander of Albanians in Syria and Iraq" who "gave orders for an attack."
"Hundreds of people from Kosovo and Albania are known to be active in IS fighting groups in Syria and Iraq," says Sky News, and "at least 200 people have been detained or investigated in Kosovo over their alleged links with IS in recent years".
However, both Kosovo and Albanian authorities say they have the problem under control, claiming that none of their citizens have joined the rebel groups in Syria and Iraq over the past year.
-
Corruption: The spy sheikh and the presidentFeature Trump is at the center of another scandal
-
Putin’s shadow warFeature The Kremlin is waging a campaign of sabotage and subversion against Ukraine’s allies in the West
-
Media: Why did Bezos gut ‘The Washington Post’?Feature Possibilities include to curry favor with Trump or to try to end financial losses
-
Epstein files topple law CEO, roil UK governmentSpeed Read Peter Mandelson, Britain’s former ambassador to the US, is caught up in the scandal
-
Iran and US prepare to meet after skirmishesSpeed Read The incident comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East
-
Israel retrieves final hostage’s body from GazaSpeed Read The 24-year-old police officer was killed during the initial Hamas attack
-
China’s Xi targets top general in growing purgeSpeed Read Zhang Youxia is being investigated over ‘grave violations’ of the law
-
Panama and Canada are negotiating over a crucial copper mineIn the Spotlight Panama is set to make a final decision on the mine this summer
-
Why Greenland’s natural resources are nearly impossible to mineThe Explainer The country’s natural landscape makes the task extremely difficult
-
Iran cuts internet as protests escalateSpeed Reada Government buildings across the country have been set on fire
-
US nabs ‘shadow’ tanker claimed by RussiaSpeed Read The ship was one of two vessels seized by the US military