Experts call on Facebook to pull Messenger Kids app
Open letter to Mark Zuckerberg warns children are ‘not old enough’ for online friendships

Child health experts have urged Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg to scrap Messenger Kids, a social media app aimed at children under the age of 13.
More than 110 doctors, educators and child health advocates have signed an open letter led by the US-based Campaign for Commercial-Free Childhood that warns Zuckerberg of the danger that social media can pose for young people, The Guardian reports.
In the letter, the authors say “social media use by teens is linked to significantly higher rates of depression, and adolescents who spend an hour a day chatting on social networks report less satisfaction with nearly every aspect of their lives”.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The authors add that young children “are not old enough to navigate the complexities of online relationships, which often lead to misunderstandings and conflicts even among more mature users”.
In a statement issue in response to the letter, Facebook’s head of safety, Antigone Davis, said the company had created the app with “an advisory committee of parenting and developmental experts, as well as with families themselves and in partnership with National PTA (parent teacher association)”, The Washington Post reports.
Facebook says that Messenger for Kids is advert-free and that parents who use the app are happy they can communicate with their children during work hours.
Although the app is not yet available in the UK, Barnardo’s chief Javed Khan told The Daily Telegraph last year that the charity has “serious concerns” about Messenger Kids launching in Europe.
An official UK launch date has not yet been announced.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
-
Kill the Boer: Elon Musk and the anti-apartheid song
Under the radar Billionaire reignites controversy by linking South African 'struggle song' to 'white genocide'
By Elizabeth Carr-Ellis, The Week UK Published
-
Critics’ choice: Restaurants worthy of their buzz
feature A fun bistro, a reservation worth the wait, and a modern twist on Mexican dishes
By The Week US Published
-
Film reviews: Snow White, Death of a Unicorn, and The Alto Knights
Feature A makeover for Disney’s first animated feature, greedy humans earn nature’s wrath, and a feud between crime bosses rattles the mob
By The Week US Published
-
What does an ex-executive's new memoir reveal about Meta's free speech pivot?
Today's Big Question 'Careless People' says Facebook was ready to do China censorship
By Joel Mathis, The Week US Published
-
What's Mark Zuckerberg's net worth?
In Depth The Meta magnate's products are a part of billions of lives
By David Faris Last updated
-
TikTok's fate uncertain as weekend deadline looms
Speed Read The popular app is set to be banned in the U.S. starting Sunday
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Meta's right turn on red: Zuckerberg turns toward MAGA
Talking Points Zuckerberg is abandoning fact-checkers to embrace "free speech," a familiar refrain for Trump's cohort
By Theara Coleman, The Week US Published
-
Is 'AI slop' breaking the internet?
In The Spotlight 'Low-quality, inauthentic, or inaccurate' content is taking over social media and distorting search engine results
By The Week UK Published
-
Bluesky: the social media platform causing a mass X-odus
The Explainer Social media platform is enjoying a new influx but can it usurp big rivals?
By Chas Newkey-Burden, The Week UK Published
-
Australia proposes social media ban before age 16
Speed Read Australia proposes social media ban before age 16
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Social media ban: will Australia's new age-based rules actually work?
Talking Point PM Anthony Albanese's world-first proposal would bar children under 16 even if they have parental consent, but experts warn that plan would be ineffective and potentially exacerbate dangers
By Harriet Marsden, The Week UK Published