Rising GOP star Patrick McHenry tasked with corralling Republicans while Steve Scalise recovers
With House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) in the hospital recovering from a bullet wound, it could now fall on Chief Deputy Whip Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) to corral a deeply divided party on the Senate's ObamaCare replacement and the 2018 budget. "The partnership between Rep. Scalise and Rep. McHenry has always been an important part of this whip operation, and that will continue to be the case," explained Scalise's spokesman to Politico. "McHenry is a very capable chief deputy whip, and as he steps up in coming weeks, the other members of our whip team will also keep up their great work and our staff will continue working hard as well."
Scalise's condition has improved from "critical" to "serious" after he was shot during practice for the Congressional Baseball Game last week. Politico adds that "though he only fully regained consciousness on Saturday, according to hospital updates, Scalise already expressed a desire to be conferenced in for leadership meetings as soon as possible, according to one source."
McHenry is a young 41, and Politico points out that being passed the reins at such a crucial moment for the party could prove he's "leadership material down the road."
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
"The whip team will remain strong and continue to do what Steve set us out to do, and we'll be ready for when he returns," said McHenry, who is also a close personal friend of Scalise's. "He's going to be missed, but he's set a standard for what's expected and we know what we need to do to get the job done."
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Jeva Lange was the executive editor at TheWeek.com. She formerly served as The Week's deputy editor and culture critic. She is also a contributor to Screen Slate, and her writing has appeared in The New York Daily News, The Awl, Vice, and Gothamist, among other publications. Jeva lives in New York City. Follow her on Twitter.
-
Could Trump run for a third term?The Explainer Constitutional amendment limits US presidents to two terms, but Trump diehards claim there is a loophole
-
Political cartoons for November 28Cartoons Friday's political cartoons include economic diagnosis, climate distractions, and more
-
What does the fall in net migration mean for the UK?Today’s Big Question With Labour and the Tories trying to ‘claim credit’ for lower figures, the ‘underlying picture is far less clear-cut’
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
