Trump is apparently planning to wing it in his big meeting with Kim Jong Un
Rather than studiously prepare for a summit with North Korea's Kim Jong Un, President Trump apparently plans to fake it till he makes it.
The upcoming summit is unprecedented, so top advisers are flying somewhat blind when it comes to preparing for a Trump-Kim sit-down. But Politico reports that Trump hasn't even been consulting with his national security team to strategize, skipping planning meetings and preferring improvisation over careful preparation.
The National Security Council would usually convene with the president many times before such an important event. But several administration officials told Politico that Trump has taken a more "unstructured" approach, choosing not to attend or arrange NSC meetings. The summit, which is scheduled for Tuesday in Singapore, will seek to persuade Kim to denuclearize.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Additionally, National Security Adviser John Bolton has reportedly irritated Trump recently, leading the president to leave him out of a meeting with a North Korean official who visited Washington last week. Officials say it's still unclear what role Bolton will play when he attends the summit, with one saying it's "shocking" how much is still unplanned.
White House counselor Kellyanne Conway insisted that Trump is working hard "in many different ways for many different major summits." But a Bush administration official who was assigned to foreign policy in Asia had a different view, saying experts worry the president "is going to wing this summit." Read more at Politico.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Summer Meza has worked at The Week since 2018, serving as a staff writer, a news writer and currently the deputy editor. As a proud news generalist, she edits everything from political punditry and science news to personal finance advice and film reviews. Summer has previously written for Newsweek and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, covering national politics, transportation and the cannabis industry.
-
Political cartoons for November 27Cartoons Thursday's political cartoons include giving thanks, speaking American, and more
-
We Did OK, Kid: Anthony Hopkins’ candid memoir is a ‘page-turner’The Week Recommends The 87-year-old recounts his journey from ‘hopeless’ student to Oscar-winning actor
-
The Mushroom Tapes: a compelling deep dive into the trial that gripped AustraliaThe Week Recommends Acclaimed authors team up for a ‘sensitive and insightful’ examination of what led a seemingly ordinary woman to poison four people
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
