Trump says Kim meetings went 'better than anyone could imagine,' gives Kim a tour of his presidential limo


After their 38-minute one-on-one meeting in Singapore Tuesday morning, President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un sat down for a meeting where they were each flanked by advisers, and after that meeting, the delegations adjourned to a lunch of beef short rib confit, sweet and sour crispy pork, and braised codfish. Before sitting down, Trump made a joke that seemed to wink at his and Kim's physiques, asking the Singaporean state TV camera crew: "Getting a good picture, everybody? So we look nice and handsome and thin?" The White House press pool and other U.S. media were excluded, in breach of longstanding protocol.
After lunch, Trump said he and Kim "had a really fantastic meeting" and made "a lot of progress. Really very positive. I think better than anybody could imagine." He said he and Kim would be signing an undisclosed document soon, then the two leaders walked around the grounds of the Singapore resort where they are meeting and Trump gave Kim a rare peek inside the Beast, the president's heavily armored limo. "Trump can be seen talking and gesturing before a Secret Service agent opens the door and the leaders look in," The Associated Press reports. "It wasn't immediately clear how Kim felt about the presidential tour, but he seemed to be smiling."
You can watch Trump's and Kim's public remarks before their pre-lunch group meeting below. Peter Weber
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Peter has worked as a news and culture writer and editor at The Week since the site's launch in 2008. He covers politics, world affairs, religion and cultural currents. His journalism career began as a copy editor at a financial newswire and has included editorial positions at The New York Times Magazine, Facts on File, and Oregon State University.
-
The financial changes to expect in 'Awful April'
The Explainer As the new financial year begins, it brings changes for bills, wages and tax
By Marc Shoffman, The Week UK Published
-
Crossword: April 2, 2025
The Week's daily crossword
By The Week Staff Published
-
Sudoku medium: April 2, 2025
The Week's daily medium sudoku puzzle
By The Week Staff Published
-
WHCA rejects White House press seating grab
Speed Read The White House Correspondents' Association objected to the Trump administration's bid to control where journalists sit during press briefings
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sends more migrants to El Salvador jail
Speed Read Another 17 Venezuelan alleged gang members have been deported to a notorious prison
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sets 25% tariffs on auto imports
Speed Read The White House says the move will increase domestic manufacturing. But the steep import taxes could also harm the US auto industry.
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump allies urge White House to admit chat blunder
Speed Read Even pro-Trump figures are criticizing The White House's handling of the Signal scandal
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Waltz takes blame for texts amid calls for Hegseth ouster
Speed Read Democrats are calling for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and national security adviser Michael Waltz to step down
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published