Trump credits his 'little rocket man' Twitter taunts for leading to the Kim summit
After President Trump sat down with North Korea's Kim Jong Un in a historic summit, he energetically praised Kim's love for his people, the beautiful beaches of North Korea, and his own foreign policy acumen, claiming that his Twitter tirades against the dictator were a deliberate plan that paid off.
In an interview with Fox News' Sean Hannity, Trump explained that when he was tweeting about his "bigger" nuclear button and calling Kim "little rocket man," he was really executing a long-term strategy to get Kim to come around to the idea of denuclearization.
"Well, I think without the rhetoric we wouldn't have been here,” Trump told Hannity. “I really believe that." Trump blamed "other administrations" for relying on a "policy of silence" to deal with North Korea. "That's not the answer. That's not what you have to do," he said.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Just ahead of the "chat among friends," Hannity used the same argument as Trump to explain how he so successfully navigated the U.S. to its first meeting with North Korea. "The liberal policy of appeasement of, well frankly, ass-kissing and ring-kissing, and bowing before dictators and despots, it doesn't work," said Hannity on his radio show.
Trump patted himself on the back for sticking with his strategy even though he "felt a little embarrassed" about his aggression toward Kim. "I hated to do it," he said. "Sometimes I felt foolish doing it. But we had no choice." Watch the interview below, via Fox News. Summer Meza
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Summer Meza has worked at The Week since 2018, serving as a staff writer, a news writer and currently the deputy editor. As a proud news generalist, she edits everything from political punditry and science news to personal finance advice and film reviews. Summer has previously written for Newsweek and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, covering national politics, transportation and the cannabis industry.
-
Political cartoons for November 27Cartoons Thursday's political cartoons include giving thanks, speaking American, and more
-
We Did OK, Kid: Anthony Hopkins’ candid memoir is a ‘page-turner’The Week Recommends The 87-year-old recounts his journey from ‘hopeless’ student to Oscar-winning actor
-
The Mushroom Tapes: a compelling deep dive into the trial that gripped AustraliaThe Week Recommends Acclaimed authors team up for a ‘sensitive and insightful’ examination of what led a seemingly ordinary woman to poison four people
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
