Trump says he's declaring a national emergency and will reportedly redirect more than $6 billion for the border
President Trump made it official Friday: he is declaring a national emergency over the border.
Trump also said he will seek to direct as much as $8 billion for the border, with White House acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney telling reporters $600 million will come from the Treasury Department's drug forfeiture fund, $2.5 billion will come from the Department of Defense's drug interdiction program, and another $3.6 billion will come from military construction funding, per The Washington Post.
The White House had previously announced that Trump would sign Congress' shutdown-averting deal, which provides $1.3 billion for border fencing but not $5.7 billion in wall funding like Trump wanted, while at the same time declaring a national emergency to obtain the rest of the money. "It's a great thing to do," Trump said Friday of his national emergency declaration.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Trump's idea of declaring a national emergency is highly controversial even among Republicans, who fear the precedent it will set and warn that a future Democratic president could take similar action over one of their policy priorities. "A future president may use this exact same tactic to impose the Green New Deal," Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said Thursday, per the Tampa Bay Times.
Congress could theoretically pass a joint resolution to terminate Trump's national emergency declaration. But both the House and the Senate would need supermajorities in order to override a presidential veto of this resolution, The New York Times reports, adding that it's "highly unlikely" enough Republican support exists for this step to be taken.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
Could Trump run for a third term?The Explainer Constitutional amendment limits US presidents to two terms, but Trump diehards claim there is a loophole
-
Political cartoons for November 28Cartoons Friday's political cartoons include economic diagnosis, climate distractions, and more
-
What does the fall in net migration mean for the UK?Today’s Big Question With Labour and the Tories trying to ‘claim credit’ for lower figures, the ‘underlying picture is far less clear-cut’
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
