Is President Trump looking to turn this year's White House Correspondents' Dinner into an extended "I told you so"?
After he skipped the annual event two years in a row, Axios reports an "exuberant" Trump is considering attending next month. It's unclear "how serious" Trump is about going, Axios writes, but this could be the next step on what has been called Trump's "victory lap" following Attorney General William Barr release of his summary of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report. Barr said Mueller found no evidence of collusion with Russia and did not make a conclusion about whether Trump obstructed justice, while not exonerating the president on that front. The full report has not yet been made public.
Trump bucked tradition in 2017 by skipping the Correspondents' Dinner, a yearly event attended by press during which a comedian and the president deliver monologues. He was the first sitting president since Ronald Reagan not to go — and Reagan only skipped it because he had recently been shot.
Trump once again skipped the dinner in 2018 and subsequently complained about comedian Michelle Wolf's scathing jokes. At this year's dinner on April 27, the featured speaker will be a historian instead of a comedian, and Trump had previously suggested this might make him change his tune, tweeting in November that the change is a "good first step in comeback of a dying evening and tradition," adding, "Maybe I will go?"
Of course, the fact that he's now feeling vindicated over the Mueller report might guide the decision, too, with Trump on Tuesday declaring the media has "lost tremendous credibility" with its "corrupt coverage of the illegal Democrat witch hunt of your all time favorite duly elected president, me!"