The RNC is reportedly ready to attack reporters who criticize Trump ahead of 2020
President Trump's campaign is gearing up for a cutthroat race to 2020, and his backers are prepared to wield Attorney General William Barr's memo as their most effective weapon.
Barr wrote that Special Counsel Robert Mueller didn't establish any collusion with Russia, and The Atlantic reports that the Republican National Committee and America First, a pro-Trump super PAC, are prepared to attack anyone who says otherwise.
Reporters who suggest there's more to learn about Mueller's report — which hasn't been released publicly, aside from a few words quoted by Barr — or attack Trump more generally, will feel the wrath of a very-prepared defense team. "Any reporter who tries that will be hit with 30-second spots of all their ridiculous claims about collusion," a source told The Atlantic. "Their tweets have all been screencapped. It's all ready to go."
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Trump reportedly plans to continue speaking publicly about his self-described exoneration and doesn't want to move on since Democrats and some members of the media won't accept his assertion that Mueller cleared him of any wrongdoing. His first big shot at a "victory lap" will come on Thursday night at his campaign rally in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where he's expected to skewer critics who inaccurately predicted Mueller's report would be more immediately damaging. The message will be that Democrats are willing to make up lies "to stop us from making America great again," said a campaign source, and that Trump's allies are ready to go on the offense.
Trump-friendly groups, a source warned, are "geared up for any nonsense to come." Read more at The Atlantic.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Summer Meza has worked at The Week since 2018, serving as a staff writer, a news writer and currently the deputy editor. As a proud news generalist, she edits everything from political punditry and science news to personal finance advice and film reviews. Summer has previously written for Newsweek and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, covering national politics, transportation and the cannabis industry.
-
Rothermere’s Telegraph takeover: ‘a right-leaning media powerhouse’Talking Point Deal gives Daily Mail and General Trust more than 50% of circulation in the UK newspaper market
-
The US-Saudi relationship: too big to fail?Talking Point With the Saudis investing $1 trillion into the US, and Trump granting them ‘major non-Nato ally’ status, for now the two countries need each other
-
Crossword: November 30, 2025The daily crossword from The Week
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
