Pelosi and Schumer blast Trump as a 'prisoner to the gun lobby and the NRA'
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) in a statement on Monday blasted President Trump over his response to two weekend mass shootings while calling for the Senate to reconvene and pass gun background check legislation.
In a joint statement, the two top Democrats criticized Trump for not mentioning anything in his speech on Monday about "strong background checks" after he tweeted his support for them earlier in the morning.
"It took less than three hours for the president to back off his call for stronger background check legislation," Pelosi and Schumer said, NBC News reports. "When he can't mention guns while talking about gun violence, it shows the president remains prisoner to the gun lobby and the NRA."
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Pelosi and Schumer also said that the Senate must "immediately" come back into session in order to pass background check legislation that was previously passed by the House, with the Democrats also suggesting the public should ramp up the pressure on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to allow such a vote.
"The public must weigh in and demand passage of this legislation for the safety of our children," Pelosi and Schumer conclude.
Trump in his tweet on Monday had suggested tying the passage of background check legislation with immigration reform, though he did not get into specifics or mention whether he might support the House background check legislation. In his speech on Monday, Trump didn't bring up this proposal and said that "mental illness and hatred pulls the trigger, not the gun."
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
Nigel Farage: was he a teenage racist?Talking Point Farage’s denials have been ‘slippery’, but should claims from Reform leader’s schooldays be on the news agenda?
-
Pushing for peace: is Trump appeasing Moscow?In Depth European leaders succeeded in bringing themselves in from the cold and softening Moscow’s terms, but Kyiv still faces an unenviable choice
-
Sudoku medium: November 29, 2025The daily medium sudoku puzzle from The Week
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
