Puerto Rico's effort to find a new governor is only getting messier and messier.
After Ricardo Rosselló on Friday stepped down as governor in light of a corruption scandal and the leak of offensive private chats, Pedro Pierluisi, who Rosselló had picked as secretary of state earlier that week, was sworn in; the secretary of state position would place Pierluisi next in the line of succession. But this immediately sparked legal questions and controversy, as by Friday afternoon, Puerto Rico's Senate had not actually confirmed Pierluisi as secretary of state yet. Some said that Pierluisi could be sworn in just with the House's approval, which he received, while others contended he needed approval from the Senate, too.
Now, Puerto Rico's Senate has filed a lawsuit seeking to remove Pierluisi, The Associated Press reports, with Senate President Thomas Rivera Schatz saying, "Puerto Rico is living a situation without historical precedent." San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz also said on she would file an appeal challenging Pierluisi, NBC News reports.
The Senate's lawsuit will now be heard by Puerto Rico's Supreme Court, reports CBS' David Begnaud.
In a statement on Monday, Pierluisi said he would respect the result of the Senate's upcoming vote on his secretary of state position after previously saying he would resign were the vote not successful. Were he to do so, the next in line would be Justice Secretary Wanda Vázquez, who previously said she has "no interest in occupying the position of governor."